|Full name||Derek Young|
|Date of birth||27 May 1980|
|Place of birth||
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|2012–2014||Queen of the South||42||(2)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13:07, 21 May 2015 (UTC).
Derek Young (born 27 May 1980) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays in midfield for Forfar Athletic. Young began his career alongside his brother Darren at Aberdeen before leaving with him in 2003 to join Dunfermline Athletic. Spells at St. Johnstone and Partick Thistle followed before returning to Aberdeen for another four years. He spent a short spell in Iceland with Grindavík before returning to Scotland with Morton in 2011. In summer 2012 he joined Queen of the South with whom he won a league and cup double.  He signed for Forfar Athletic on June 24, 2014.
Young started his career with Aberdeen where without winning any trophies, he played in numerous UEFA Cup games. He also represented Scotland under 21s.
Young rejoined Aberdeen in July 2007. Like his first spell there, he again tasted UEFA competition. In April 2011, he was told by Aberdeen manager Craig Brown that his contract would not be renewed for the following season.
After leaving Grindavik, Young was offered a contract until the end of 2011 by Greenock Morton, but was unable to play against Livingston due to a suspension that only was brought to light when Morton received international clearance from the Icelandic FA. His signing was confirmed in November along with the loan signing of Dominic Cervi. In January 2012, Young was offered a contract extension by Allan Moore until the end of the season; the contract offer was accepted and signed on 6 January. Young was released by Morton at the end of the 2011–12 season due to difficulties travelling over from Aberdeen for training.
Young signed for Queen of the South during the 2012 summer transfer window. Young scored for Queen of the South in their 4–3 penalty shootout win against Rangers at Ibrox. He did this again when Queens won the Scottish Challenge Cup that season against Partick. Having already won the division 2 title, this gave Young and his team mates a league and cup double.
|Greenock Morton captain
- Career profile
- "Young gets second calling at Dons". BBC Sport. 2007-07-24.
- "Aberdeen want Steven Smith as trio are shown exit". BBC Sport. 27 April 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2011.
- "Grindavík fær Derek Young frá Aberdeen (Staðfest)" (in Icelandic). Fotbolti.net. 29 July 2011. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Tait, Chris (21 October 2011). "Moore: Del deal set to be signed". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- "Loan player signed". Greenock Morton F.C. 4 November 2011. Retrieved 4 November 2011.
- Tait, Chris (4 January 2012). "Ton offer Young contract extension". Greenock Telegraph. Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Derek Young". Greenock Morton F.C. 6 January 2012. Retrieved 7 January 2012.
- "Scottish Division Two ins and outs". BBC Sport (BBC). 7 August 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2012.