|Born||Johannesburg, South Africa|
|Residence||Johannesburg, South Africa|
Desmond Sacco was born in Johannesburg, South Africa. His father, Guido Sacco, founded the Assore Group in 1928. He received a Bachelor of Science in Geology from the University of South Africa, where he played cricket and hockey.
In 1968, he joined the Assore Group, a public company traded on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange founded by his father four decades earlier. He was appointed to its Board of Directors in 1974, and has served as its Chairman and Managing Director since 1992. He also serves as Chairman of Assmang Limited.
- Bruce Cairncross, The Mineral Collection of Desmond Sacco, Johannesburg, South Africa, Rocks & Minerals, Volume 87, Issue 5, 2012, pp. 410-417
- Two maestros of manganese, Mining Weekly, April 7, 2000
- Jane Marais, The Billionaires are back, The Times, December 04, 2010
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek
- Assore Board of Directors
- Assmang Board of Directors