|Known for||Silk painting, author|
Diane Tuckman is an American artist. She is known for her silk painting work, and as an author of several books on the subject with Jan Janas. She resides and works in Lanham, Maryland in the Greater Washington, D.C. area.
Early life and work
In an interview with The Washington Free Beacon, Tuckman recalled that while living in Egypt as a child during WWII, "they were shooting Jewish girls in the street…My family and I escaped in 1948 and went to France." Though less harrowing, even in France "it was a very difficult time after the war, with ration tickets and very little housing." Tuckman moved to the United States in 1958 soon after marriage. Tuckman is credited as one of the seminal artists who helped to popularize silk painting in the United States through her books, and when her company (Ivy Imports) was the first US-based company to "import the French dyes needed to paint on silk."
Tuckman is also the co-founder of the nonprofit organization Silk Painters International (SPIN), which in 2000 helped to organize the Second International Silk Painting Congress at George Mason University. SPIN now routinely organizes a silk painting biennial; the most recent one was held in 2018 in Gatlinburg, TN. The organization now has over 500 members.
- The Complete Book of Silk Painting. Cincinnati, OH: North Light. ISBN 978-0891344223.
- Creative Silk Painting. Cincinnati, OH: North Light. ISBN 978-0891346104.
- The Best of Silk Painting. Cincinnati, OH: North Light. ISBN 978-0891347293.
- The Fine Art of Painting on Silk. Atglen, PA: Schiffer, 2018 ISBN 978-0764355356.
Tuckman has exhibited and curated silk art exhibitions around the Greater Washington, DC region. She has been referred to as "a silk painting pioneer in America, she teaches, paints, and exhibits her own silk paintings, as well as promotes the art form through her educational programs."
- Hopkinson, Natalie (August 3, 2000). "The Functional Art Of Silk Painting". The Washington Post.
- "Silk Painting". smithsonianassociates.org. Retrieved February 4, 2021.
- "Artists Directory | Gateway Arts District of Prince George's County". mygatewayarts.org. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Alcalde, Rebekah (February 8, 2018). "Silk painter shares her skill with others". The Washington Free Beacon. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Textiles and Photography: A Juxtaposition of Silk Art and Photography". WETA Public Television. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Festival of Silk Painters Raises Hail in Santa Fe". Surface Design Association. February 9, 2015. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "Shaped Resist Workshop – 2018 Spin Festival – October 5–12, 2018". Doshi. August 16, 2018. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "My Career Choice: Diane Tuckman – Silk Artist and Photographer". Woman Around Town. June 12, 2019. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- "Paula Burch's Dyes and Dyeing: Book and Video Reviews". www.pburch.net. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "The Sensual Beauty of Silk Art". University of Maryland Stamp Union Gallery. October 9, 2004. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Oasis Art Gallery Presents Diane Tuckman Silk Art & Photography". East City Art. November 27, 2018. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Artist Spotlight Diane Tuckman". Art All Night 2018 DC – Presented by Mayor Muriel Bowser. September 19, 2017. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "The Silk Work of Diane Tuckman | Glen Echo Park". glenechopark.org. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- "Artist Diane Tuckman achieves a major success at OASIS". byteclay.com. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Jackson, Laura (September 3, 2009). "Judge finds an unusual spot for artwork in Greenbelt". The Gazette Newspapers (A Washington Post company). Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Meyerhoff Gallery Presents Diane Tuckman". East City Art. January 9, 2018. Retrieved January 31, 2019.