Wertheim's fatal injury occurred after Stefan Edberg sent an errant serve directly into his groin. The official had been sitting in a chair and officiating at the center line when the blow knocked him backward. He fell out of the chair and onto the hardcourt surface, striking his head.
Wertheim was unconscious when he was taken to Flushing Hospital and Medical Center. He died on September 15. His family sued the United States Tennis Association for $2.25 million. In an opinion suggesting that the impact of the tennis ball had not been the proximate cause of his death, the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of New York reversed a $165,000 jury award to his estate.
- Wertheim, Jon (2005-10-19). "Czech yourself (pt. 3)". SI.com. Archived from the original on 2008-01-30. Retrieved 5 March 2017.
- "Odd mishap fells tennis official". Evening Independent. St. Petersburg, Fla. 12 September 1983. p. 3-C. Retrieved 20 November 2008.
- "Tennis serve kills official". The Afro American. 24 September 1983. Retrieved 13 December 2012.
- "Digest ..Us Open Linesman Dies" Tri City Herald 17 September 1983
- "Tennis Group Sued Over Death" New York Times 6 September 1984
- WERTHEIM v. UNITED STATES TENNIS ASS'N, INC.
|This American biographical article related to tennis is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|