Diego Fernández de la Cueva, 1st Viscount of Huelma
Diego Fernández de la Cueva, 1st Viscount of Huelma (died 26 November 1473) was a Spanish nobleman.
He was related to or perhaps a descendant of Juan Sánchez de la Cueva, a nobleman from Úbeda, Regedor or Veinte y Quatro (24) of Úbeda in 1367, who rose pennant for the usurper Henry, Count of Trastamara, bribed by his generous promises. He was also a relative and a contemporary of another Diego de la Cueva, Alcalde of Caltinovo, married to María Cortés, whose daughter María Cortés married Rodrigo or Ruy Fernández de Monroy, paternal grandparents of Hernán Cortés.
He married Maior Alfonso de Mercado from Úbeda and had two sons. King Enrique IV, in his second year as King, travelled to Úbeda and stayed with Diego. When he left this house, he took Diego's second oldest son, Beltrán, with him to stay at Court to show his gratitude to Diego. (Diego offered Beltrán after Enrique asked for Diego's oldest son, whom Diego wanted to keep close by).
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "article name needed". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- "Castillo de Cuéllar" (in Spanish). 2007. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- Castro Pereira Mouzinho de Albuquerque e Cunha, Fernando de (1995). Instrumentário Genealógico - Linhagens Milenárias (in Portuguese). pp. 329–30.
- Costa Felgueiras Gaio, Manuel José da. Nobiliário das Famílias de Portugal (in Portuguese). VII. Portugal: Beltroens.
- Hobbs, Nicolas (2007). "Grandes de España" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2006-11-29. Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- Sousa, Dom António Caetano de (1946). História Genealógica da Casa Real Portuguesa (in Portuguese). VI (2ª Edição ed.). Coimbra, Portugal: Atlântida-Livraria Editora, Lda. p. 323.
- Instituto de Salazar y Castro. Elenco de Grandezas y Titulos Nobiliarios Españoles (in Spanish). periodic publication.
- "Origin of the Surname Cortés" (in Spanish). 2007. Archived from the original on 11 December 2008. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- "Beltrán de La Cueva" (in Spanish). 2007. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
- "Geneallnet" (in Spanish). 2007. Retrieved 15 February 2009.
|New title||Viscount of Huelma
Juan de la Cueva