Disappearance of Mirella Gregori
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
October 7, 1967
|Disappeared||May 7, 1983 (aged 15)
|Status||Missing for 34 years, 9 months and 11 days|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
Mirella Gregori (born October 7, 1967) mysteriously disappeared from Rome in May 1983, about 40 days before the disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi, a citizen of Vatican City. Both vanishings are unsolved as of today.
Gregori's disappearance took place during the Cold War; both the Gregori and the Orlandi case led to the Grey Wolves, an extremist Turkish group, claiming to be involved in the abductions and demanding the release of Mehmet Ali Ağca, the assassin who shot and wounded Pope John Paul II in Saint Peter's Square on May 13, 1981. According to Mehmet Ali Ağca's autobiography, the two girls' disappearances as well as the disappearance of Soviet journalist Oleg G. Bitov from the Venice Film Festival on September 9 that same year are closely linked.
Circumstances of disappearance
Gregori left her house telling her mother she "had a date" with a former schoolmate. She has not been seen since.
During a visit of the Pope to a Rome parish, on December 15, 1985, Gregori’s mother recognized a man in the papal escort as the person who often came to pick up her daughter at the house. The man was identified as Raoul Bonarelli.
- Banda della Magliana
- Grey Wolves member Mehmet Ali Agca's 1981 attempt to assassinate the Pope
- Disappearance of Emanuela Orlandi
- List of people who disappeared mysteriously
- Hooper, John (April 14, 2012). "Mystery of the missing girl, the Vatican and gangster's burial". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Jones, Tobias (June 22, 2013). "Gone Girl". The Spectator. Retrieved 9 May 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Agca, Ali. Mi avevano promesso il paradiso: La mia vita e la verità sull'attentato al papa. Publisher GeMS (January 31, 2013), ISBN 978-88-6190-438-5
- "Mirella Gregori". Studente − Italia. archivio900. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Nicotri, Pino. "Emanuela Orlandi: Pietro contro Bonarelli, ex sicurezza del Vaticano". Blitz Quotidiano. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Giallo, Il. "Caso Orlandi, un'intercettazione riapre la vicenda di Mirella Gregori". Corriere Della Sera. Retrieved 5 June 2013.