From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Look up displacement in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Displacement may refer to:
- Displacement (vector), the difference between the final and initial position of a point (for instance, the center of mass of a moving object). The actual path covered to reach the final position is irrelevant. It can simply be defined as the length of the shortest path between the final point and initial point of a body or "shortest distance between two points".
- Particle displacement, a measurement of distance of the movement of a particle in a medium as it transmits a wave (represented in mathematics by the lower-case Greek letter ξ)
- Displacement field (mechanics), an assignment of displacement vectors for all points in a body that is displaced from one state to another
- Electric displacement field, as appears in Maxwell's equations
- Wien's displacement law, a relation concerning the spectral distribution of blackbody radiation
- Angular displacement, a change in orientation of a rigid body, the amount of rotation about a fixed axis.
- Engine displacement, the total volume of air/fuel mixture an engine can draw in during one complete engine cycle
- Displacement (fluid), an object immersed in a fluid pushes the fluid out of the way
- Positive displacement meter, a pump or flow meter which processes a definite fluid volume per revolution
- Displacement has several meanings related to ships and boats
- Displacement hull, where the moving hull's weight is supported by buoyancy alone and it must displace water from its path rather than planing on the water's surface
- Displacement speed, a rule of thumb for non planing watercraft to estimate their theoretical maximum speed
- Displacement (ship), several related measurements of a ship's weight
- Insulation displacement connector, a type of electrical connector
- Displacement mapping, a technique in 3D computer graphics
- Single displacement reaction, a chemical reaction concerning the exchange of ions
- Double displacement reaction, a chemical reaction concerning the exchange of ions
- Radioactive displacement law of Fajans and Soddy, elements/isotopes created during radioactive decay
- Earth Crustal Displacement, an aspect of the Pole shift hypothesis
- Displacement (orthopedic surgery), change in alignment of the fracture fragments
- Displacement (linguistics), the ability of humans (and possibly some animals) to communicate ideas that are remote in time and/or space
- Forced migration, by persecution or violence
- Displacement (psychology), a sub-conscious defense mechanism
- Displacement (parapsychology), a statistical or qualitative correspondence between targets and responses.
- Development-induced displacement, the displacement of population for economic development
- Displacement may occur during gentrification.
- Displacement (fencing), a movement that avoids or dodges an attack
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Displacement.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.