Domenico Alvaro (Sinopoli, December 5, 1924 − Sinopoli, July 25, 2010), also known as 'don Micu o Giannuzzu', is an Italian criminal and a member of the 'Ndrangheta, a Mafia-type organisation in Calabria.
He was a mediator for the 'pax mafiosa' of the Second 'Ndrangheta war – in which more than 600 people were killed – brokering a deal between the main adversaries Pasquale Condello and Giorgio De Stefano. He became a member of La Provincia, a provincial commission of the 'Ndrangheta formed at the end of the war in September 1991, to avoid further internal conflicts.
He was arrested on July 14, 2010, in one of the most important and large operations against the 'Ndrangheta in Italy ever (Operation Crimine) in which more than 300 criminals were arrested. Due to his bad health he was transferred to a hospital in Reggio Calabria and later to his home in Sinopoli, where he died of natural causes at the age of 86 on July 25, 2011.
His son Cosimo Alvaro took over the command of the clan. He was arrested on July 14, 2011. On September 4, 2013, a subsequent police operation against the clan, at the time active in Sinopoli, Sant'Eufemia d'Aspromonte, Cosoleto and Delianuova, resulted in 7 arrests, among who Cosimo Alvaro (already in jail) and his brother Antonio Alvaro.
- (Italian) Gratteri & Nicaso, Fratelli di Sangue, pp. 65-68
- (Italian) Sentenza procedimento penale Olimpia, Tribunale di Reggio Calabria, January 19, 1999
- (Italian) Morto per cause naturali a 86 anni Domenico Alvaro, Il Quotidiano della Calabria, July 25, 2010
- (Italian) Si è spento ieri nella sua abitazione Domenico Alvaro, patriarca di Sinopoli, Gazzetta del Sud, July 26, 2010
- (Italian) 'Ndrangheta, arrestato il super latitante Cosimo Alvaro, Il Quotidiano della Calabria, July 14, 2011
- (Italian) Arresti cosca Alvaro, nomi e dettagli dell’Operazione, NtaCalabria, September 4, 2013
- (Italian) Gratteri, Nicola & Antonio Nicaso (2006). Fratelli di Sangue, Cosenza: Luigi Pellegrini Editore ISBN 88-8101-373-8
|This Italian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|