|Full name||Dominik Straga|
20 June 1988 |
Rijeka, SR Croatia, SFR Yugoslavia
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||84 kg (185 lb)|
|Club||PK Primorje Rijeka|
Dominik Straga (born June 20, 1988) is a Croatian swimmer, who specialized in freestyle and butterfly events. He represented his nation Croatia at the 2008 Summer Olympics and has claimed multiple Croatian championship titles and three national records in the long and short course freestyle (100 and 200 m), and butterfly (50, 100, and 200 m). He also won two bronze medals in the same stroke (50 and 100 m) at the 2006 European Junior Swimming Championships in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, with respective times of 24.62 and 54.51.
Straga competed for the Croatian swimming team in the men's 200 m freestyle at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing. Leading up to the Games, he finished with a third-place time in 1:51.53 to eclipse a FINA B standard (1:52.53) by exactly a second at the Croatian Open Championships in Dubrovnik. Swimming on the outside in heat three, Straga overhauled a sub-1:50 barrier to smash a scintillating Croatian record time of 1:49.63 for the second spot, just a 0.59 of a second behind Papua New Guinea's Ryan Pini. Straga's fantastic record-breaking finish would not be enough to put him through to the semifinals, finishing thirty-seventh overall in the prelims.
- "Dominik Straga". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- Rusticus, Oene (10 July 2006). "European Junior Championships Close with a Flourish". Swimming World Magazine. Archived from the original on 1 April 2013. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Croatian Open Championships: Several More National Records Tumble". Swimming World Magazine. 14 July 2008. Archived from the original on 13 September 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "Olympic Cut Sheet – Men's 200m Freestyle" (PDF). Swimming World Magazine. p. 15. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- "Swimming: Men's 200m Freestyle Heat 3". Beijing 2008. NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 21 August 2012. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Dominik Straga srušio hrvatski rekord na 200 slobodno" [Dominik Straga breaks the Croatian record in the 200m free] (in Croatian). Dnevno.hr. 10 August 2008. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
|This biographical article related to a Croatian swimmer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|