Don't Wanna Fall in Love
|"Don't Wanna Fall in Love"|
|Single by Jane Child|
|from the album Jane Child|
|Released||February 10, 1990 (USA)
April 11, 1990 (UK)
|Genre||R&B, synthpop, new jack swing|
|Jane Child singles chronology|
"Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is a 1990 hit song for Toronto-born singer/songwriter/musician Jane Child. Released as the second single from her self-titled debut album, the single went to number two for three weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart in late April and early May 1990, kept out of the top spot by Sinéad O'Connor's ballad "'Nothing Compares 2 U". In addition, a "new jack swing" remix of the song was produced by Teddy Riley and reached number six on the R&B chart, and number eleven on the dance chart. Shep Pettibone also remixed the single, but was only released to DJ's. When released around Europe it also became successful albeit more modestly. In the UK, the single stalled at #22 after Child refused to appear on the popular British TV program Top of the Pops while the single was climbing the charts, considering the program to be a "sellout".
It is Child's best known song and only top 40 hit, making her a one hit wonder in the public eye.
In 2013, the song was featured on Grand Theft Auto V's soundtrack, as part of the radio station Non-Stop Pop's playlist.
The music video shot in B&W and in color, was filmed in New York City by cinematographer Derek M. Allen at the request of Child, due to having written the song while living there. In it, Child is seen walking through downtown Manhattan at night, alternating with scenes of the artist at work, laying down tracks on a Fairlight and mixing the results on a multitrack board.
Weekly singles charts
It was also sampled by producer M-Phazes, which was used for the 2014 song "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" by singer/rapper KYLE.
- Stylus Magazine Archived February 13, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 117.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 57.
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - Jane Child Singles[permanent dead link]. RIAA.com. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jane Child – Don't Wanna Fall in Love". Singles Top 100.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1990". Archived from the original on 2010-01-17. Retrieved 2009-09-15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-29. Retrieved 2015-11-10.