Don MacIntyre 2015
|Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for Innisfail-Sylvan Lake|
May 5, 2015 – February 5, 2018
|Preceded by||Kerry Towle|
|Succeeded by||Devin Dreeshen|
|Born||1955 (age 63–64)|
North Battleford, Saskatchewan
United Conservative Party (2017–18)
|Residence||Sylvan Lake, Alberta|
Donald Brian MacIntyre (born 1955) is a Canadian former politician who was elected in the Alberta general election, 2015 to the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, where he represented the electoral district of Innisfail-Sylvan Lake until resigning on February 5, 2018 after being charged with sexual assault and "sexual interference" (i.e., touching a minor for a sexual purpose).
Views on Climate Change
On January 2, 2017, MacIntyre — while speaking to the press — asserted that man made climate change is not the primary cause of the planet's warming. This is in conflict with the current scientific opinion on climate change, which asserts a 95% confidence that climate change is primarily caused by man.
- MacIntyre: "Climate change is real, Mr. Thomson. It is cyclical. Man is aggravating it. Man is not the sole cause, are you happy?"
- Graham Thomson (Edmonton Journal): According to scientists who study this, the majority of the increase is man-made.
- MacIntyre: "You can’t say that anymore."
- Another journalist: Why can’t you say that anymore?
- MacIntyre: "The science isn’t settled."
The Alberta New Democratic Party - which holds a majority government in the legislature - responded by requesting that the Wildrose Party - the official opposition - remove Don MacIntyre from his position as energy critic. Leduc-Beaumont NDP MLA Shaye Anderson was quoted saying "It’s irresponsible to lend climate change-denying conspiracies the credibility of the office of the Official Opposition. Unless (Wildrose Leader Brian) Jean agrees with what Mr. MacIntyre is saying, he must remove him from his position.".
The Wildrose Party responded by issuing a statement that "We get calls daily from Albertans living in NDP-held ridings furious that their MLAs are not listening to their opposition to the carbon tax. I suggest they spend their time listening to those concerns," - in reference to the 20 dollars per ton carbon tax put in place by the Alberta government.
2015 general election
|Alberta general election, 2015: Innisfail-Sylvan Lake|
|Progressive Conservative||Kerry Towle||5,138||28.0%|
|New Democratic||Patricia Norman||4,250||23.2%|
|Alberta Party||Danielle Klooster||1,134||6.2%|
MacIntyre resigned his seat as legislative representative for Innisfail-Sylvan Lake in February 2018, near the time he was charged with the sexual offenses; sexual assault and sexual interference, involving a girl under the age of 16. The actions occurred between five to ten times between 2010 and 2011, and during the trial MacIntyre claimed that his actions were done during a dark period of his life and part of Satan's plan. He also told his victim during the actions that "God had approved the abuse".
On January 11, 2019 MacIntyre pled guilty to sexual interference and was sentenced to three years in prison, while the charge of sexual assault was withdrawn.
- "Sylvan Lake News - Don MacIntyre seeking Wildrose nomination". sylvanlakenews.com. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- Former Alberta MLA Don MacIntyre resigned following sexual assault, sexual interference charges He told the child that God approved of what he was doing. He was sentenced to three years in prison on January 11, 2019 after pleading guilty. In a letter of apology, the blame was laid on Satan. His third wife is standing by her man.
- "Graham Thomson: Wildrose still seems to be flirting with denial of man-made climate change in 2017". Edmonton Journal. 2017-01-03. Retrieved 2017-01-03.
- "NDP demands removal of Wildrose critic over climate change row". Edmonton Sun. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- Bennett, Dean. "Wildrose nixes NDP call to sack electricity critic over climate change denials". Global News. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- "Carbon levy and rebates". www.alberta.ca. Retrieved 2017-01-07.
- January 11, Jonny Wakefield Updated:; 2019 (2019-01-12). "'Satan's plan': Former MLA Don MacIntyre pleads guilty to one count of sexual interference | Edmonton Journal". Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- Grant, Meghan (January 11, 2019). "Former Alberta MLA, who sexually abused girl and told her God approved it, sentenced to 3 years in prison | CBC News". CBC. Retrieved 2019-01-12.