|Born||18 September 1953|
|Died||12 February 2001(aged 47)|
|Occupation||Musician, composer, bandleader|
Donald Kachamba (1953–2001) was a Malawian musician, composer and bandleader.
Beginning in 1972 Kachamba toured extensively covering 33 countries in Africa, Europe and the Americas. In May 1988 he toured Finland on the invitation of the Institute for Workers Music, Helsinki, in May 1989 he performed at the Ethnographic Museum of the University of Zürich. In 1991 his band toured Belgium and Germany. In September 1994 Donald Kachamba was invited to the colloquium "Music and Anthropology" in Lisbon to present one of his films. Thereafter he gave lecture performances in Berlin, Frankfurt and Salzburg. The most recent European tour was in January 1995 to the Netherlands, Belgium and France (on the invitation by Radio France).
Donald Kachamba died on Friday 12 January 2001.
- Concert Kwela – Donald Kachamba et son ensemble LDX 274972 CM 212, Le Chant du Monde 1994.
- Donald Kachamba; Donald Kachamba's Band (1978). Simanje-Manje and Kwela from Malaŵi. AIT Records.
- The Kachamba Brothers' Band (1974)
- Donald Kachamba's Band: Simanje-Manje and Kwela from Malawi (1979)
- Donald Kachamba et son ensemble Concert Kwela, Le Chant du Monde (1991)
- Donald Kachamba's Kwela Band: Live and in Kachamba Donald's Studio 1974–1995, popular African music (1999).
- Donald Kachamba's Kwela Music. Malawi Twist Encyclopaedia Cinematographica Göttingen, B 2328 (Institute for Scientific Film) 1978
- Donald Kachamba's Kwela Music: Simanje-manje, cha-cha-cha Encyclopaedia Cinematographica, Göttingen 2329 E 1978.
Notes and references
- Harris, Craig. "Donald Kachamba Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Kubik, Gerhard (July 1979). "Donald Kachamba's Kwela Music". The Society of Malawi Journal. 32 (2). JSTOR 29778423.
- Kubik, Gerhard (2005). "A Presentation of Kwela Music". Scientific African. Retrieved 20 February 2015.
- Kubik, Gerhard (2008). Africa and the Blues. Univ. Press of Mississippi. ISBN 978-1-60473-728-8.
- Kubik, Gerhard (2010). Theory of African Music. University of Chicago Press. ISBN 978-0-226-45694-2.
- wa Mukuna, Kazadi (1980). Readings in African Urban Music. African Studies Center, Michigan State University.