Donna Baier Stein
|Donna Baier Stein|
|Born||Kansas City, Missouri|
|Occupation||Writer, publisher, copywriter|
|Genre||Fiction, poetry, non-fiction|
Donna Baier Stein is an American author, publisher, and copywriter.
Donna is the author of The Silver Baron's Wife (PEN/New England Discovery Award, Bronze winner in Foreword Reviews 2017 Book of the Year Award, Will Rogers Medallion Award finalist and more), Sympathetic People (Iowa Fiction Award Finalist and 2015 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Finalist), Sometimes You Sense the Difference (Finishing Line Press), and Letting Rain Have Its Say (Kelsay Books). She was a Founding Editor of Bellevue Literary Review and founded and publishes Tiferet Journal. She has received a Bread Loaf Scholarship, Johns Hopkins University MFA Fellowship, grants from the New Jersey Council on the Arts and Poetry Society of Virginia, a Scholarship from the Summer Literary Seminars, and more.
Donna's stories and poems have appeared in the Virginia Quarterly Review, The Saturday Evening Post, Writer's Digest, Confrontation, Prairie Schooner, New York Quarterly, Washingtonian, and many other journals as well as in the anthologies I've Always Meant to Tell You (Pocket Books), To Fathers: What I've Never Said (featured in O Magazine), Men and Women: Together and Alone from Spirit That Moves Us Press.
She has also been a freelance direct marketing copywriter since 1980, writing for clients that include Smithsonian, Time, The Nature Conservancy, World Wildlife Fund, and many others. She created seminars on copywriting for the Direct Marketing Association and has taught copywriting and creative writing at many universities and organizations. Her two nonfiction books on copywriting are Write on Target (co-authored with Floyd Kemske and published by McGraw Hill) and The New Marketing Conversation (co-authored with Alex MacAaron and published byThomson Publishing Group).
Baier Stein was named Direct Marketer of the Year by the New England Direct Marketing Association in 2004.
- Letting Rain Have Its Say (Poetry, Kelsay Books, 2018)
- The Silver Baron's Wife (Novel, Serving House Books, 2016)
- Sympathetic People (Stories, Serving House Books, 2013)
- Sometimes You Sense the Difference (Poetry, Finishing Line Press, 2012)
- The New Marketing Conversation: Creating and Strengthening Relationships (Racom Communications, 2004)
- Tiferet Journal (2004–Present)
- To Fathers: What I’ve Never Said (contributor, Story Line press, 2001)
- Write on Target: The Direct Marketers Copywriting Handbook (with Floyd Kemske, McGraw-Hill, 1997)
- I’ve Always Meant to Tell You; Letters to Our Mothers – An Anthology of Contemporary Women Writers (contributor, Pocket Books, 1997)
Awards and honors
- PEN/New England Discovery Award for The Silver Baron's Wife
- Bronze winner in Foreword Reviews 2017 Book of the Year Award for The Silver Baron's Wife
- Will Rogers Medallion Award finalist for The Silver Baron's Wife
- Paterson Prize for Fiction for The Silver Baron's Wife 
- Iowa Fiction Award Finalist for Sympathetic People
- 2015 Next Generation Indie Book Awards Finalist in Short Fiction for Sympathetic People 
- Scholarship from Bread Loaf Writers Conference
- Awards from the Poetry Societies of Virginia and New Hampshire
- New Hampshire Fellowship from Johns Hopkins University
- Writing Seminars Fellowship from the New Jersey Council on the Arts 
- "2016 Foreward Reviews Indies Winners"
- "Bellevue Literary Review Masthead"
- "Tiferet Journal About Us"
- "Donna Baier Stein's website"
- "Will Rogers Medallion Award 2017 Finalists"
- "Indie Book Awards, 2015 Winners and Finalists"
- "American Writers & Artists, Inc." Archived August 3, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.