Lipp speaking at a conference in 2012
|Residence||Fair Oaks, California|
|Alma mater||California State University, Sacramento|
|Occupation||Speaker, author, consultant|
|Years active||1981 - Present|
Gordon Douglas Lipp (born 1955) known as Doug Lipp is a consultant, speaker, and author based in Fair Oaks, California. Lipp is an expert in leadership and customer service. He is the CEO and President of G. Douglas Lipp & Associates, a consulting firm. Lipp previously served as head at the Disney University Corporate Headquarters training department and helped create the first international Disney University at Tokyo Disneyland. He has published books in English and Japanese and has given over 1500 keynote presentations.
Lipp earned a MA in International Business Communications from the California State University, Sacramento. He spent two years at the International Christian University in Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan and Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan in post-graduate studies of Japanese language and history.
In 1978, Lipp began interning at Disney's marketing department in Anaheim, California. The company hired Lipp as an interpreter for Japanese officials planning the first international Disney theme park in Tokyo. At Disney University, Lipp created and presented numerous training programs for employees. Lipp was transferred to Japan, where he spent two years helping hire and train 4000 employees for Tokyo Disneyland. After repatriating from Tokyo Disneyland, Lipp was assigned to lead the Disney University training team at the Walt Disney Studios, Disney's corporate headquarters in Burbank, California. He developed leadership courses for studio employees and executives.
Doug Lipp left Disney to co-found the Intercultural Relations Institute (IRI), a global consulting business, with C. Clarke, a Stanford professor, in the mid 1980s. While working at IRI, Lipp consulted with corporations based in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the United States. A few years later, he became a consultant for NEC, a Japan-based semiconductor company, when it expanded to Roseville, California. During this time, Lipp also worked with Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Organization (SACTO), a local economic development group. He served as Chair of the organization's Pacific Rim committee and helped recruit international companies to the Sacramento area. Lipp helped bring Kikkoman, Gekkeikan and Mitsubishi Rayon to the area.
Consulting and speaking
In 1993, he founded G. Douglas Lipp & Associates, a consultant firm that provides leadership, change management, customer service and global competitiveness services, after conducting a 30-day training program for The Pebble Beach Company. The firm provides corporate training programs and leadership projects for companies. Lipp conducted a series of seminars showcasing his experience with Disney from 1994 to 1995.
In June 2005, he conducted a customer-service training program for the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority in Jersey Shore. In March 2013, Lipp spoke to 21,000 McDonald's franchise owners and general managers in Las Vegas and 550 human-resource managers in Toronto for a week. That month, he published Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees. The book highlights leadership lessons from the founder and Dean of the Disney University, Van France. Disney U features 25 interviews with former Disney executives, stories about the corporation's early days, and 13 lessons from Disney University.
- Negotiation Manual: How to Negotiate Overseas
- The Success of Tokyo Disneyland
- Global Management
- Danger and Opportunity
- Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (2001) (ISBN 9780970764805)
- The Changing Face of Today's Customer: Strategies for Attracting and Retaining a Diverse Customer and Employee Base In Your Local Market (2003 ) (ISBN 9780970764829)
- Stuck in the Middle Seat: Why Traveling Can Really Suck! (2008) (ISBN 9780970764836)
- Disney U: How Disney University Develops the World's Most Engaged, Loyal, and Customer-Centric Employees (2013) (ISBN 978-0071808071)
- "How Disney gets its 'hi-ho' enthusiasm from workers". The News Tribune. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "More Lessons for Business from Walt Disney and Disney U". John C. Donahue. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Insurance Chamber". The Ledger. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Leadership Biz Cafe Podcast #13 – Doug Lipp On How Disney Creates A Thriving Workforce". Tanveer Naseer. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Building World Class Customer Experience the Disney Way – Interview with author, Doug Lipp". Document Strategy. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Buck, Claudia. "How Disney gets its 'hi-ho' worker enthusiasm". Seattle Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Cathie Anderson (2014-01-04). "Cathie Anderson: Fair Oaks business consultant treated like royalty in Bahrain". Retrieved 2014-11-02.
- Lianna Gutcher (2013-10-23). "Walt Disney veteran Doug Lipp talks leadership". Retrieved 2014-11-02.
- "Managing Change And Being Globally Competitive: Doug Lipp To Address NRB 2012 Convention". NRB. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- McCafferty, Dennis. "12 Management Lessons From Disney U". Coin Sight. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Change Approach to Be Successful Across Cultures, NCDM Speaker Says". DM News. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Doug Lipp". Actionable Books. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "2013 Executive Night - The Magic of Disney's Extraordinary Leadership & Customer Service". HRPA. Archived from the original on 16 October 2013. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Inside Disney U". Training Mag. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Lear More About Doug". Doug Lipp. Archived from the original on 7 February 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Strauss, Robert. "Seminar on Smiling Brightens the Shore". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Salvatore Giliberto (2013-04-15). "4 Questions with Disney U's Doug Lipp". Retrieved 2014-11-02.
- "Book Review: Disney U by Doug Lipp". I Am Reader. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Gilibert, Salvatore. "4 Questions with Disney U's Doug Lipp". People Fluent. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Are you Plusing your Show?". Customer Think. Retrieved 16 October 2013.