|Original author(s)||Zeno Rocha|
October 27, 2013
Dracula is a color scheme for a large collection of desktop apps and website, with a focus on code editors and terminal emulators, created by Zeno Rocha. The scheme is exclusively available in dark mode. Packages that implement the color scheme have been published for many major applications, such as Visual Studio Code (2.9M installs), Sublime Text (160K installs), Atom (250K installs), JetBrains IDEs (820K installs), and 218 other applications.
Zeno Rocha began working on Dracula in 2013 after having his computer stolen at a hospital in Madrid, Spain. Upon installing a new code editor and terminal emulator, he could not find a color scheme that he liked, so he decided to create his own. He always believed in the cost of context switching, therefore his goal was to create a uniform and consistent experience across all his applications. On October 27, 2013, he published the first Dracula theme for ZSH on GitHub.
On February 11, 2020, Rocha launched a premium version called Dracula PRO. On February 25, 2021, Dracula PRO reported $100k in sales. As of March 2023, Dracula PRO has reported over $250k in sales.
|Background||#282a36||40 42 54||231° 15% 18%|
|Current Line||#44475a||68 71 90||232° 14% 31%|
|Foreground||#f8f8f2||248 248 242||60° 30% 96%|
|Comment||#6272a4||98 114 164||225° 27% 51%|
|Cyan||#8be9fd||139 233 253||191° 97% 77%|
|Green||#50fa7b||80 250 123||135° 94% 65%|
|Orange||#ffb86c||255 184 108||31° 100% 71%|
|Pink||#ff79c6||255 121 198||326° 100% 74%|
|Purple||#bd93f9||189 147 249||265° 89% 78%|
|Red||#ff5555||255 85 85||0° 100% 67%|
|Yellow||#f1fa8c||241 250 140||65° 92% 76%|
Over the years, Dracula became popular among software developers. Joey Sneddon of omg!ubuntu! recommended Dracula, noting its wide compatibility, as well as its open source nature. Writing for SpeckyBoy Magazine, Eric Karkovack reported that "Dracula is a dark theme that presents some great color contrast. Using a dark background actually saves energy as well...". Nick Congleton of LinuxConfig.org described it as one of the best Linux terminal color schemes. Twilio featured Dracula as one their favorite Halloween hacks. Adobe listed Dracula as one of their featured Design System Packages. Sudo Null IT News said that "Dracula Theme is a universal theme for almost everything". Eric L. Barnes from Laravel News told that "Dracula theme is a great way to get your development environment ready". Lizzy Lawrence from The Protocol reported that "Dracula is the dark mode color scheme with a cult following of coders".
Dracula being used on Vim
Dracula being used on XCode
Dracula being used on Slack
Dracula being used on iTerm
Dracula being used on Discourse
- "Dracula Official - Visual Studio Marketplace". marketplace.visualstudio.com. Archived from the original on 2018-05-03. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Dracula Color Scheme - Sublime Package Control". packagecontrol.io. Archived from the original on 2015-04-23. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Dracula Syntax - Atom Packages". Atom. Archived from the original on 2018-01-27. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Dracula Theme - JetBrains Plugins". JetBrains Plugin Repository. Archived from the original on 2020-09-24. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Dracula Theme". draculatheme.com. Archived from the original on 2017-06-01. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- Merino, Marcos (2021-11-07). "Efecto mariposa: alguien roba un portátil en Madrid, y Dracula se convierte en el theme más popular del mundo, disponible en 218 apps". Genbeta (in Spanish). Retrieved 2021-11-08.
- Stacoviak, Adam. "Open Source Lessons Learned with Zeno Rocha (The Changelog #248)". Changelog. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- "Add ZSH theme - dracula/dracula-theme@7e4d17a". GitHub. Archived from the original on 2020-02-18. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- Littauer, Richard; Dorfman, Justin; Berry, Eric. "Creating Dracula PRO with Blood, Sweat, and Tears with Zeno Rocha". Sustain. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- "A solo journey to $100k in sales | Hacker News". news.ycombinator.com. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- Rocha, Zeno. "How I made $115,177.39 selling colors online - Dracula". draculatheme.com. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- Rocha, Zeno. "Dracula PRO — Be more productive". draculatheme.com. Retrieved 2023-03-16.
- Rocha, Zeno. "Dracula Theme - Contribute". draculatheme.com. Archived from the original on 2020-03-24. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- Sneddon, Joey (2019-11-19). "There's a Dracula Theme for …Pretty Much Everything". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- Karkovack, Eric (2020-01-17). "10 Beautiful Free Themes for Sublime Text". Speckyboy Design Magazine. Retrieved 2020-04-04.
- "The Best Linux Terminal Color Schemes For 2019 - LinuxConfig.org". linuxconfig.org. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- "Twilio's Favorite Halloween Hacks using Python, Raspberry Pi, Arduino and More". Twilio Blog. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- "Adobe XD for Visual Studio Code". Let's XD. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- Latest IT News, Sudo Null. "Sudo Null - Dracula Theme is a universal theme for almost everything". SudoNull. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Get your IDE ready for Halloween with the Dracula Theme". Laravel News. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "This dark mode color scheme has its own cult following. Yes, really". Protocol — The people, power and politics of tech. 2021-11-05. Retrieved 2021-11-05.