Nathan Boasberg (10 May 1825 – 1 Sept 1910)  was a prominent businessman and one of the early Dutch Jewish settlers of Buffalo, New York. He was for many years one of the leading clothing manufacturers in Buffalo.
Early life and Emigration
Nathan Boasberg was born on May 10, 1825 in Amsterdam. He went to Leyden University and after joined the Dutch Navy. He was on a man-of-war that went to New York, and while there he was persuaded to remain by an uncle of his. In 1848 he traveled on the Erie Canal to Buffalo where he stayed. 
Business in Buffalo
He opened a clothing business in the 1850’s on Pearl Street, then moved it to Commercial Street, and later to 190 Main Street. One of his business partners was Emanuel Van Baalen.
Nathan Boasberg was one of the charter members of Temple Beth El. He became secretary of the Temple in 1856 and became a Trustee in 1858. Later he became a member of Temple Beth Zion. He was active with many charities in Buffalo. He was on the original Board of Directors of the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Buffalo. He was a member of the Independent Order of B’nai B’rith (I.O.B.B.) and was the financial secretary of the Montefiore Lodge.
Nathan Boasberg died on September 6, 1910 in Buffalo, New York at the home of his daughter, Margaret, on Ashland Avenue. At the time of his death, he was Buffalo’s oldest Jewish settler and the oldest living charter member of Temple Beth El. He was buried at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Section FF (which is the old Temple Beth Zion section).
He married Rachel Van Baalen (1832-1909), daughter Emanuel Van Baalen and Mary Van Kleef. They had nine children; Isaac, Anna, Elizabeth, Herman, Adele, Margaret, Emanuel, Julius, and Clara. Isaac (1852-1920) became a diamond broker and a Democratic Party activist. Herman (1859-1928) became a jewelry broker. Adele Boasberg (1861-1904) became well known on the stage as the actress Judith Berolde. Emanuel (1865-1937) established a wholesale Tobacco Firm and was a well-known philanthropist and civic leader. Among his descendants are Al Boasberg, James Walker Michaels, and Judge James E. Boasberg.
- Find A Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/119028119/nathan-boasberg
- The Commercial Advertiser directory for the city of Buffalo, 1855: https://archive.org/details/commercialadvert00buff/page/104/mode/2up
- The Forerunners: Dutch Jewry in the North American Diaspora By Robert P. Swierenga. : https://books.google.com/books?id=BmZwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PT160&lpg=PT160&dq=%22Nathan+Boasberg%22&source=bl&ots=h1cWLr1rL6&sig=ACfU3U2OWSe2xpTR1TYADUGgrdQ8InHCOw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjugZS48cnvAhUyoFsKHSkmBGIQ6AEwBXoECAcQAw#v=onepage&q=%22Nathan%20Boasberg%22&f=false
- I.O.B.B. membership from The Hebrew Leader.: https://www.nli.org.il/en/newspapers/hebleader/1866/04/20/01/article/8/?e=-------en-20--1--img-txIN%7ctxTI--------------1
- Obituary from Buffalo Evening News - 6 Sep 1910 - Page 59. : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38716599/nathan-boasberg-obituary/?xid=637&_ga=2.183864803.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Nathan Boasberg, Buffalo of the olden times from The Buffalo Times - 15 Jan 1911 - Page 16. : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/73790792/nathan-boasberg-buffalo-of-the-olden/?xid=637&_ga=2.213945810.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Nathan Boasberg funeral from The Buffalo Enquirer - 7 Sep 1910 - Page 9 : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/73805040/obituary-for-nathan-boasberg/?xid=637&_ga=2.140879223.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Obituary from The Buffalo Times - 6 Sep 1910 - Page 1 : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56012353/obituary-for-nathan-boasberg-aged-86/?xid=637&_ga=2.183887203.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Rachel's obituary from: Buffalo Evening News - 23 Dec 1909 - Page 11 : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/38716227/mrs-rachel-boasberg-obituary/?xid=637&_ga=2.213314769.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Obituary for his daughter Adele (Judith Berolde) from Buffalo Evening News - 7 Apr 1904 - Page 1 : https://www.newspapers.com/clip/74838735/judith-berolde-obituary/?xid=637&_ga=2.237363397.414057630.1616618582-421070619.1576360959
- Emanuel Boasberg III, the father of Judge Boasberg. https://www.battlefields.org/preserve/hall-of-fame/emanuel-boasberg-iii
|Review waiting, please be patient.
This may take 5 months or more, since drafts are reviewed in no specific order. There are 5,532 pending submissions waiting for review.