Draper James is a clothing line launched by actress Reese Witherspoon, founded in 2015. A nod to Witherspoon’s Southern upbringing, the line aims to “emphasize (Witherspoon’s) southern roots and personal style.” The name is in honor of Witherspoon’s grandparents, Dorothea Draper and William James Witherspoon.
Draper James launched with products available in May 2015 under the supervision of former president of Burch Creative Capital, Andrea Hyde and an initial $7 million in seed investment. In October 2015, Draper James announced a $10 million round of investment funding from early-stage investment firm, Forerunner Ventures.
In October 2015, Draper James launched its first brick and mortar store in Witherspoon’s hometown of Nashville, Tennessee. The second store opened in Dallas, Texas in September 2016. In May 2017, the Lexington, Kentucky location opened at The Summit at Fritz Farm. The company plans to expand their physical locations to several more cities in the Southeastern United States.
In April 2017, Draper James partnered with sandal brand Jack Rogers (Footwear Retailer) to launch three different styles of the classic Jack Rogers sandal. Draper James and Net-a-Porter announced a partnership in May 2017.
The line features a wide range of clothing, accessories and home decor designed to “embrace the beauty and style and excitement that embodies what is happening in the South today,” with prices geared more toward high-end shoppers.
Products often feature slang common to the Southeast United States, such as a tote bag with the phrase “totes y’all” imprinted on the bag.
In March 2016, Florida-based jeweler Jordann Weingartner sued Draper James for copyright and trademark infringement, due to the similarity between its trademark and logo and Weingartner's design.
- Duboff, Josh. "Will Reese Witherspoon's Draper James Unite Blake Lively and Gwyneth Paltrow?". Vanity Fair. Vanity Fair. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Malkin, Marc; Rosenbaum, Claudia. "Reese Witherspoon's Lifestyle Company Gets a Name, Plans to Open a Retail Store". E! Style. E! Entertainment Television. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- O'Connor, Claire. "Reese Witherspoon Scores $10 Million Investment For Lifestyle Brand Draper James". Forbes.com. Forbes. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Medina, Marcy. "Reese Witherspoon Hires C. Wonder President Andrea Hyde". Women's Wear Daily. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Dave, Paresh. "Reese Witherspoon has a startup, and it just got a $10-million check". LA Times. LA Times. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Mitchell, Heidi. "Reese Witherspoon's Draper James To Open Brick And Mortar Locations". Fast Company. Fast Company. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Reese Witherspoon Had the Most Instagrammable Day Ever Opening Her Dallas Store!". PEOPLE.com. 2016-10-12. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Reese Witherspoon's retail store Draper James opens at The Summit". kentucky. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "PHOTOS: See Inside Reese Witherspoon's Classic-Chic Dallas Draper James Store!". PEOPLE.com. 2016-10-10. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Step Inside the Charming, Star-Studded Dinner for Feed and Reese Witherspoon's Draper James". Vanities. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Reese Witherspoon Showed Us How to Throw a Classic Southern Party". Oprah.com. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Reese Witherspoon". Coveteur. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Silverstein, Noah. "The 7 Most Fantastic Fashion Moments from the *Gilmore Girls* Reboot". Glamour. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Why Y'all Love Draper James So Much". Southern Living. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Reese Witherspoon Teams with Birchbox to Curate a Limited Draper James Inspired Beauty Box". PEOPLE.com. 2017-02-22. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Allen, Rachael (2017-04-25). "Reese Witherspoon's Brand Draper James Is Collaborating With This Iconic Sandal Brand". Footwear News. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- "Reese Witherspoon and Net-a-Porter Launch Exclusive Draper James Capsule Collection (Start Shopping Y'all!)". PEOPLE.com. 2017-05-10. Retrieved 2017-05-10.
- Murray, Rheana. "Check out Reese Witherspoon's new Southern-inspired fashion line". Today. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Schmidt, Ingrid. "Reese Witherspoon's Draper James collection has Southern charm". LA Times. LA Times. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Johnson, Richard. "Reese Witherspoon accused of ripping off logo in $5M suit". Page Six. New York Post. Retrieved 3 March 2016.