Eagle Aircraft Eagle 150
|Manufacturer||Eagle Aircraft Pty Ltd|
|Developed from||Eagle X-TS|
The Eagle Aircraft 150B is an Australian designed two-seat single-engine composite material training, touring and sport aircraft. It utilizes a three lifting surface design consisting of a forward wing (foreplane), main wing (mainplane) and horizontal stabilizer (tailplane). The aircraft was designed and originally built by Eagle Aircraft Pty Ltd, but is now manufactured in Malaysia by Composites Technology Research Malaysia.
Design and development
The Eagle 150B is a development of the Eagle X-TS from Western Australian inventors Neil Graham and his father Deryck Graham. Australian aeronautical engineer Graham Swannell and American aerodynamicist John Roncz were then engaged to design an aircraft to meet then-current JAR VLA requirements and demonstrate minimal stall characteristics. The first aircraft (designated Eagle 150A) was first flown in March 1988 and certified in November 1996. The aircraft demonstrated very docile stall characteristics, rapid roll rates, 125 knot cruise speeds ( at 75% power) and crisp handling. After 15 aircraft were built at Fremantle, Western Australia the Eagle 150B was introduced. John Roncz was presented with the Prince's Australian Medal for the design of the Eagle 150 by His Royal Highness Prince Philip at a ceremony in London in 2000.
The manufacturing rights are now owned by the Malaysian company Composites Technology Research Malaysia.
A development of the aircraft as a UAV has been designated the Eagle ARV System. The first system of three aircraft and a ground station has been purchased by the Malaysian government.
Data from Eagle 150B Pilots Operating Handbook and FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual 
- Crew: one
- Length: 6.45 m (21 ft 2 in)
- Wingspan: 7.16 m (23 ft 6 in)
- Height: 2.31 m (7 ft 7 in)
- Wing area: 5.2 m2 (56 ft2)
- Airfoil: Roncz
- Empty weight: 437 kg (963 lb)
- Useful load: 213 kg (470 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 650 kg (1433 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Teledyne Continental Motors IO-240-B 4-cylinder horizontally opposed piston, 125 hp (93.2kW)
- Propellers: 1 x two-bladed McCauley 1A135BRM7057, 1A135CRM7057 or 1A135DRM7057 fixed-pitch
- Propeller diameter: 70 in (1.778 m)
- Canard Span: 4.88 m (16 ft 0 in)
- Never exceed speed: 305 km/h (165 knots, 190 mph)
- Maximum speed: 240 km/h (130 knots, 150 mph)
- Cruise speed: 213 km/h (115 knots, 132 mph)
- Stall speed: 83 km/h (45 knots, 52 mph) at MTOW, full flaps
- Range: 1000 km (540 nm, 621 miles) (75% power)
- Endurance: 5 hours at 60% power
- Service ceiling: 14800 ft (4500 m)
- Rate of climb: 988 ft/min (5.0 m/s) at MTOW, ISA sea level
- Wing loading: 73.6 kg/m2 (15.1 lb/ft2)
- Power/mass: 0.14 W/kg (0.087 hp/lb)
- Eagle 150B Pilots Operating Handbook and FAA Approved Airplane Flight Manual. Eagle Aircraft Pty Ltd. 2001.
- World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2005–2006, ISSN 1368-485X
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eagle 150.|