East Africa Cup
|Tournament format||Double round-robin and Knockout|
|Number of teams||6|
|Current champion||Rwenzori Warriors (1st title)|
|Most successful|| Kongonis
Rwenzori Warriors (1 title)
|Most runs||Rakep Patel (346)|
|Most wickets||Mitesh Sanghani (19)|
|2013 East Africa Cup|
The East Africa Cup (EAC) is one of two domestic cricket competitions launched by Cricket Kenya in the aftermath of the Kenya national cricket team's disastrous showing at the 2011 Cricket World Cup. It is a 50 over competition that features 6 franchises, 4 from Kenya and 2 from Uganda, that compete against each other home and away in a league before the two teams that come top in the league square off in a final. Its main objective is to improve the standard of the cricket played in Kenya, and spark a revival on the international stage once again.
The tournament was started in the wake of Kenya's disastrous 2011 Cricket World Cup campaign. Its main aim is to develop the standard of cricket both in Kenya and Uganda. This idea was first believed to be mooted by Cricket Kenya CEO Tom Sears.
This was launched on the 7th of August 2013 and ran from the second week of August until the second week of September. The tournament was won by Rwenzori Warriors.
Initially, SuperSport became the broadcast partner for Cricket Kenya, and was broadcast the inaugural East African competitions which was a big boost for the tournament. Following the success of the inaugural tournaments, SuperSport extended their deal with the board to another two years to broadcast the tournament till 2013.
Statistics and records
|2012||Coast Pekee||Rwenzori Warriors||6|
- Records / East African Cup, 2011/12 / Most runs Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 February 2012
- Records / East African Cup, 2011/12 / Most wickets Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 February 2012
- Martin Williamson. "Kenya prepare for new superleagues". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 2011-10-02.
- http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/527588.html Kongonis v Nile Knights at Nairobi (Gym) - Jan 29, 2012 Kongonis won by 84 runs
- http://cricket-kenya.com/index.php?page=news&subpage=cricket&gid=192 Cricket Kenya Launches New Regional Competitions
- http://cricket-kenya.com/index.php?page=news&subpage=cricket&gid=194 Cricket Kenya Launches New Regional Competitions
- Cricket Kenya unveil new look East Africa show http://cricketkenya.co.ke/news_details.php?news_id=108 Retrieved 17-08-2013
- Broadcast boost for new cricket competitions Sports Pro. Retrieved 2 February 2012
- Supersport extends deal to cover East Africa competitions Cricinfo. Retrieved 2 February 2012