East Coast Trains
Not subject to franchising
Starts May 2021
|Stations called at||5|
East Coast Trains is a future open access operator in the United Kingdom owned by FirstGroup. It has been granted permission by the Office of Rail & Road to operate up to five return services per day between London King's Cross and Edinburgh via the East Coast Main Line from May 2021.
In 2015, the Office of Rail & Road called for expressions of interest for open access operators to bid for extra paths on the East Coast Main Line. In May 2016, FirstGroup were granted a track-access agreement for five services in each direction from May 2021.
East Coast Trains will procure a fleet of five 125mph electric multiple units. All trains will have buffet cars and only one class of seating accommodation, with no first class carriages available.
- Companies House extract company no 8765536 East Coast Trains Limited
- Applications for the East Coast Main Line Office of Rail & Road 12 May 2016
- First Group to run Edinburgh to London budget rail service BBC News 12 May 2016
- VTEC and FirstGroup granted East Coast Main Line paths Railway Gazette International 12 May 2016
- Budget East Coast Train Service Is Approved Sky News 12 May 2016
- "First Group launches London - Edinburgh open access plans" Rail Magazine issue 770 18 March 2015 page 20
- "First Group plans ECML service" Today's Railways issue 161 May 2015 page 13