|Born||22 November 1899
Kulmsee, Province of West Prussia, Kingdom of Prussia, German Empire now Chełmża, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland
|Died||4 May 1964
Wuppertal, North Rhine-Westphalia, West Germany
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1918–45|
|Commands held||1. Panzer-Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Eberhard Thunert (22 November 1899 – 4 May 1964) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded the 1. Panzer-Division. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Eberhard Thunert was captured by American troops in Austria in 1945 and was released in 1947.
Dates of Rank
- Fahnenjunker (2 March 1918)
- Leutnant (1 October 1920)
- Oberleutnant (1 February 1927)
- Hauptmann (1 April 1934)
- Major (1 August 1938)
- Oberstleutnant (1 November 1940)
- Oberst (1 June 1942)
- Generalmajor (1 January 1945)
- Generalleutnant (1 May 1945)
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (18 September 1939)
- 1st Class (14 May 1940)
- Eastern Front Medal
- Panzer Badge
- German Cross in Gold (24 January 1943)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 1 February 1945 as Generalmajor and commander of 1 Panzer-Division
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (22 October 1944)
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 343.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Generalmajor Werner Marcks
|Commander of 1. Panzer-Division
25 September 1944 - 8 May 1945