Ed Alberian (aka Edwin Alberian) was a stage and television actor and entertainer who began his career in off-Broadway and Broadway productions, and moved into the nascent television industry, where his work was oriented to children's programming and clowning. Alberian played the Clarabell the Clown for public appearances and on the television show Howdy Doody appeared as Professor Gusbags., as well characters, such as Doaky the Clown, on Let's Have Fun and The Beachcomber Bill Show. Alberian was frequently asked to do the original live performances of animated or promotional characters. Projects in which he worked include appearances as Bozo and in the Banana Splits. He was also the side-kick and chaperone, Sir Clacky Wack, to Sunbeam Bakeries mascot Little Miss Sunbeam. In these numerous roles he often played master of ceremonies at variety shows and fundraisers and was introduced to many prominent figures.
Alberian was born Edwin Haig Alberian in New York on January 21, 1920. There he attended New York University and Columbia University, where he studied science and chemistry and received a degree in perfumery. He later graduated from Juilliard School and chose a career as performer. He married and lived in Weehawken, New Jersey with his wife Marie (née Hekimian) with whom he had two children. Alberian was of Armenian descent, his family having arrived in the United States as part of the Armenian diaspora. On a private trip to Armenia he was seen entertaining local children and, in 1988, after some years of semi-retirement, was invited to Soviet Armenia to promote cultural exchange. Mr Alberian died March 31, 1997 and is buried at Flower Hill Cemetery, North Bergen.
- www.ibdb.com accessdate = december 11, 2009
- Berger, Meyer (December 3, 1954). "About New York; Minerva Stands in Eternal Salute to Liberty From Brooklyn Cemetery -- Man Goes Places". The New York Times.
- www.tvacres.com access date December 11,2009
- www.tv.com accessdate = December 10, 2009
- www.tvparty.com accessdate = December 10, 2009
- www.toonarific.com accessdate = December 10, 2009
- Little Miss Sunshine accessdate = December 10, 2009
- Stancavish, Don (April 2, 1997), "Edwin Alberian was TV's Clarabell", The Record
- list of famous diaspora Armenians accessdate = December 10, 2009
- Parisi, Albert J (May 22, 1988), "Clown to Visit Soviet", New York Times, p. 12, retrieved December 10, 2009
- VIPatients w/ photo accessdate = December 10, 2009