He was born on 26 July 1927 in Mount Vernon, Ohio. He graduated from Yale University with a B.A. and an M.A. He taught at Carnegie Institute of Technology, the University of Connecticut, and Kenyon College. He was managing editor of the Kenyon Review. He died on 11 May 1958 in Mount Vernon, Ohio.
- Various jangling keys. Yale University Press. 1953.
- Last poems, The Kenyon review, 1960
- Robert T. Moore (ed.). "The Lament of Orpheus; The Wall of Rome". Best Poems of 1956: Borestone Mountain Poetry Awards. Stanford University Press. ISBN 978-0-8047-1611-6.
- Ransom, John Crowe (1956-01-01). The Kenyon Review. Kenyon College.
- Shenandoah. Shenandoah. 1971-01-01.
- Kohler, Charlotte E. (1969-01-01). Poems from the Virginia Quarterly Review, 1925-1967. University Press of Virginia.
- Harned, Joseph; Goodwin, Neil (1961-01-01). Art and the craftsman: the best of the Yale literary magazine, 1836-1961. The Yale Literary Magazine.