Education in Prizren
|This article may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards, as it currently reads like an essay/promo piece. (March 2014)|
This article is on the topic of Education in Prizren, Kosovo. "The history of our education is a story of war, of efforts. A story of a small number of people, with a great spiritual world, and with a great will to be independent."  The first Albanian-language school in Kosovo was opened in 1889. A well-known cultural and historical city, Prizren, in that year begun the long way of education. The school closed during the Kosovo's War in the 90s. The teaching process was held in private houses. The education process continued regularly after the war ended. In that time (1999 - 2007) started the most important developments. We've notice developments in two main stages:
- emergency stage (1999-2002)- In this stage, the primary key was reactivation of education system, including there school infrastructure. In this case were build schools object and cabinets, sometimes were repaired old ones. There are always made some approval and implementation of laws and documents.
- development stage (2002-21007)- This is considered like the stage of development and implementations of reforms in education. There are made some teachers's training for general and professional high schools, publications of some books for students.
Now, after many years of development, Prizren's education has the basic principles according to the others European states. The students are from some ethnically: Albanian, Bosnian, Turks, Romes and Ashkali. The studding process is held in three languages, Albanian, Bosnian and Turkish, in public and private institutions.
- 1 Early education
- 2 Primary and lower secondary educations
- 3 Secondary education
- 3.1 Public high schools
- 3.1.1 General high schools
- 3.1.2 Professional high schools
- 3.1.3 Religious high school
- 3.2 Private high schools
- 3.1 Public high schools
- 4 University education
- 5 Education with special needs
- 6 References
The early education is known as preschool and pre-primary education. Based on the age of the child, there are two kinds of preschool institutions:
- preeschools for children's from 1–3 years old;
- preeschools for children's from 3–6 years old.
And the pre-primary includes children's of 5–6 years old. Preeschooles are made in private institutions, unlike the pre-primary that usually are parts of primary education schools. 56 groups of pre-primary children's groups exist in Prizen. There are 1466 children, of them 667 males, and 799 females. 1173 Albanians, 144 Bosnian, 34 Ashkali, 21 Romes and 94 Turks.
Primary and lower secondary educations
Primary and lower secondary education includes compulsory education for nine years, in two levels:
- primary education (1-5 classes);
- lower secondary education (6-9 classes).
In Prizren are 72 primary and lower secondary schools. 47 of them are basic schools, and 25 are separated.
- "Lidhja e Prizrenit" - Prizren
- "Emin Duraku" - Prizren
- "Fatmir Berisha" - Prizren
- "Lekë Dukagjini" - Prizren
- "Motrat Qirizi" - Prizren
- "Fadil Hisari" - Prizren
- "Mati Logoreci" - Prizren
- "Mustafa Bakiu" - Prizren
- "Abdyl Frashëri" - Prizren
- "Ibrahim Femiu" - Prizren
- "Haziz Tola" - Prizren
- "Xhevat Berisha" - Prizren
- "Dy deshmoret" - Pirane
- "Zenun Çoçaj" - Gjonaj
- "Hysni Temaj" - Kushnin
- "Anif Muji" - Struzhë
- "Bajram Curri" - Romajë
- "Vëllezërit Frasheri" - Planejë
- "Nazim Buduri" - Hoçë e qytetit
- "Dëshmorët e Vrrinit" - Billushë
- "Dëshmorët e Zhurit" - Zhur
- "Sezai Surroi" - Korishë
- "Besim Ndreca" - Lutogllavë
- "Ekrem Rexha" - Lubizhdë
- "Pjetër Budi" - Lubizhdë
- "Nefit Jusufi" - Skorobisht
- "Mic Sokoli" - Lybeçevë
- "Mushnikova" - Mushnikovë
- "Shtjefën Gjeçovi" - Zym
- "H. e Lumës" - Vërmicë
- "Naim Frashëri" - Vlashnje
- "Luigj Gurakuqi" - Nashec
- "Mithat Frashëri" - Krajk
- "Hasim Maliqaj" - Poslisht
- "Idriz Seferi" - Qëndresë
- "Ardhmëria" - Landovicë
- "Brigada 125" - Medvec
- "Sinan Thaçi" - Zojz
- "Zef Lush Marku" - Velezhë
- "Nazim Kokollari" - Prizren
- "Izvor" - Lubizhdë
- "25 Maji" - Lubizhdë
- "M. Bajraktari" - Reçan
- "Svejtlost" - Manastiricë
- "Pllanjane" - Planjanje
- "Sharr" - Jabllanicë
- "D. e Hasit" - Kabash
- "Genqare" - Alija
49 Schools are in Albanian, 11 in Bosnian, and 12 others. In Prizren are 1268 classes, with 26796 students. 14020 of them are males, and 12776 females. 2610 of them are in the first year, 2674 in the second year, 2812 in the third year, 2862 in the fourth year, 3109 in the fifth year, 3335 in the sixth year, 3315 in the seventh year, 2813 in the eighth year, and 3052 in the ninth year. Based on ethnicity, 22821 of them are Albanians, 2081 Bosnian, 498 Ashkali, 386 Romes, 992 Turks, 3 Egyptian, 15 others.
According to the SNKA, secondary education is the third level of education. In Prizren are 6 base secondary school, and 6 separated secondary schools. Based on language, 6 schools are in Albanian, 1 Bosnian, and 5 others. There are 9608 students, 5261 males, 4347 females. In the firs year are 1667 males, and 1208 females. in the second year 1360 males and 1286 females. In the third year 1213 males, 1194 females. In the fourth year 1021 males and 659 females. There are 287 classes, with 33,5 students in a class. Based on ethnicity, 8135 are Albanians, 975 Bosnian and 498 Turks. 43.1% Of them are in general high schools, and 56.9% professional high schools.
Public high schools
General high schools
"Gjon Buzuku" high school
"Gjon Buzuku" is a general high school which has a long tradition of education activity. We can find the beginning of activities during the 70s year, XIX. In 1907, Kosovo's Serbs, with the help of Serbian and Russian government, opened a secondary school. In November 1912, this secondary school started her activity as general high school. The work has been stopped during the First World War. But in the 1919, the school started her work again, and in the 1924 it made a full general school. For a period of time, from 1919 to 1941, the learning process was in the Serbian language. Teaching in Albanian started In November 11, 1942. During Kosovo's War, like all the other schools, at the gymnasium object, teaching process continued in Serbian and Turkish language. The studies in Albanian continued in private houses till the end of the War. Since 1999/2000 the teaching process is in three languages, Albanian, Bosnian and Turkish. Now in this school are 1980 students in the school, and 500 in separated schools, and 106 teachers. 38 classes learn in Albanian, 7 in Bosnian, and 6 in Turkish. In the school are three education fields:
- General fields;
- Natural sciences fields;
- Mathematics and computing science fields.
Except the base school object, "Gjon Buzuku" gymnasium has three separated schools.
- in Romajë,7 classes, 250 students, two managements: general field and social field;
- in Gjonaj,6 classes, 80 students, two managements: general field and natural sciences field;
- in Reçan, 3 classes, natural sciences field.
Last years except the rector, deputy director and administrator in the school exist school council.
"Remzi Ademaj" high school
"Remzi Adeaj is a general high school. It was a part of "Gjon Buzuku" general high school, but at the last years is separated. It has two managements:
- Social sciences field;
- Languages field.
Professional high schools
"11 Marsi" technical high school
The technical high school "11 Marsi" in Prizren is founded in 1967. The first course that was taught there is construction.The courses were in Albanian until 1991. Due the war that took place during the 90s, the teaching process was held in private houses. Only after the finishing of the war, the students could continue the classes in the school object. The school has totally 2210 student, from which ethnically 1357 (89,27%) are Albanian, 95 (6,25%) Bosnian, 52 (3,42%) Turks, 12 (0,79%) Romes, and 4 (0,27%) ashkali. Lectures are held in three languages: 1397 students in Albanian, 77 students in Bosnian and 46 in Turkish. The school works in this education fields:
- electronic fields:
- audio and video.
- machinery fields:
- installation of water and sewer;
- installation of heating and air conditioning;
- Construction fields:
- applied arts:
- textile design;
- graphic design.
- road traffic.
"Ymer Prizreni" economic high school
The economic high school "Ymer Prizreni" was founded in Prishtina, 1945, as a teachers school. In the year 1956 it named "Dimitrie Tucoviq" and continued training teachers till 1974. For the four next years, it worked as a normal school. In 1992 The school was named as economic high school "Ymer Prizreni". Now the school has 1708 students, 642 of them are females and 1066 males. 1470 of them are Albanians, 184 Bosnian, 54 Turkish. The school has these education fields:
- economic fields:
- bank insurance;
- Retail and wholesale trade;
- freight forwarder;
- business administration.
- juristic fields:
- juristic assistant;
- administration assistant.
- food technology
- plant-derived food technology.
- assistant restaurant.
"Luciano Motroni" medical high school
The medical high school "Luciano Motoroni " was created as a setting of Gjon Buzuku gymnasium. It was made an independent school with the decision of the municipality on June 30, 1964. During the year 1990 the final ethnic separation occurd because students and teachers moved from the school territory for politic reasons. After the war of Kosovo and Serbia (16 October 1999) Albanians moved back to the school. Besides the Albanian language, the lectures in "Luciano Motoroni" school were held in the Bosnian and Turkish language.The students start learnin again in their language after finishing of the war. Now the medical school "Luciano Motoroni" works in this educational fields: Medical (General) Nurse Fitness Pediatrics Pharmacy Gynecology Dentistry
"Lorenc Antoni" musical school
The musical school "Lorenc Antoni" was founded in 25 October 1947. At first it was a primary education school. In 1948 it becomes a high school musical. In that time, there were just few teachers of music. That's why the ministry of culture of Serbia send the professor of the music academy, Josip Sllavenski to see if there were the conditions to found a musical school. When Sllavenski arrived in Prizren, he met the musicians of the city. A day after that, he went in Zhur, and than he heard an instrumentalist group playing, and saw a group playin folk dance. He contact with Lorenc Antoni and wrote a letter for Serbian culture ministry, to let the school open. The first director of the school was Lorenc Antoni, One of the best Albanian artist. Now the school of music has his name.
Religious high school
The madrasah "alaud-din" started its work based on the plan from the Islamic community (KBI). This was the first madrasah that would provibe lectures in the Albanian language. Since 1993 this madrasah opened its first sections in Prizren, then later in Gjilan. During the period 1996/96 the madrasah had 132,students (in three years) During 1997/98 another sections was opened for girls. It had 25 students. In the free Kosovo, after June 1999 in madrasse even though damaged from the Serbian trops, started to work seriously. During these years of the madrasah's activity and until the end of 2009/10, 2750 people finished their studies.
Private high schools
"Memet Akif" college
Mehmet Akif College is founded on February 2000 by a group of parents and educators to contribute to the education of Kosovo. It offers a challenging education to students focusing both on academic achievement and personal growth, regardless of religion, race, nationality or sex. More than 90% of the graduating seniors enter universities and institutions of higher learning worldwide. Mehmet Akif College seeks to foster an atmosphere conducive to personal growth which it pursues with vigor not only within, but also outside the classroom through a variety of other activities, clubs, sports, and field trips. A strong academic program, centred around the traditional core disciplines, prepares students for entrance into universities, or other institutions providing tertiary education.
Public university " Ukshin Hoti"
"Ukshin Hoti" is the only public university in Prizren. It was founded in 2009. Now the University of Prizren works in these fields: Lecturer / Coaches / Assistants
- Management / Leadership / Organizational Behavior;
- Economics / Quantitative Methods - Finance / Accounting - Computer Science - Creative Media / Development playgrounds - Tourism / Hospitality ;
- Public Administration / Local Economic Development;
- Political Science / International Relations;
- Juridical Science - English Language - Academic writing, research and study skills Method;
"Universum" university college
Universum is a business university founded in 2004. Two years ago it was one of 3% of the best business schools in the world. Now Universum works in these education fields:
- Management / Leadership /Organizational Behavior;
- Economics / Quantitative Methods;
- Finance / Accounting;
- Computer Science;
- Creative Media / Development Playgrounds;
- Tourism / Hospitality;
- Public Administration / Local Economic Development;
- Political Science / International Relations;
- Juridical Science;
- English Language;
- Academic writing, research methods and study skills.
"Fama" university college
"Buisnes" University College
The college "Biznesi" is an institution founded in 2004. It is licensed by the Ministry of Science Education and Technology in Kosovo. It currently has 1350 active students, 650 bachelor students and 80 masters students. "Biznesi" has three major fields:
- The Law field:
- Penal Law;
- Civil Law;
- The economy field:
- International business;
- Management and economy;
- Communication and finance.
- Emergency management:
- Protection from fire;
- Protection in jobs;
- Environmental protection.
"University of Prizren"
Education with special needs
The scholastic center for the rehabilitation of people with disabilities in January 1950, in Mitrovica, which was named "The school for hearing disabilities" where dorms were also offered. In January 1951 a decision was made to open a sister school now represents a modern model of a fully functional and organized entirety of:
- Integrated kindergarten pre-elementary preparation.
- Elementary school/grade I-V.
- Middle school VI-IX.
- High school X-XII.
- A dramatory with a capacity to hold 100 students
- Avzi Mustafa, Figura mesuesish shqiptar, Tetove, 1995, p.103