This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2016)
Edward A. Mermelstein
|Commissioner of the New York City|
Mayor’s Office of International Affairs
|Assumed office |
January 5, 2022
|Preceded by||Penny Abeywardena|
Edward Alexander Mermelstein
October 22, 1967
|Residence(s)||New York, New York, U.S.|
|Alma mater||New York University and Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley School of Law (J.D.)|
Edward Alexander Mermelstein (born October 22, 1967) is New York City’s Commissioner for International Affairs. He is also an attorney, financial investment advisor, media pundit and real estate developer.
Mermelstein is the founder of several companies, including the One & Only Realty, its investment arm One & Only Holdings, and the corporate and international real estate law firm Rheem Bell & Mermelstein.
Mermelstein was born to a Jewish family in 1967. In 1976, he emigrated to the United States, where he attended the Bronx High School of Science. He joined the US Army while still in high school. After his Army training, Mermelstein attended NYU and graduated in 1991 with a B.A. in Psychology. Mermelstein studied law at the Thomas Cooley Law School in the 1990s.
On January 3, 2022, Mermelstein joined the Eric Adams administration as the Commissioner of International Affairs in the Mayor’s Office. Mermelstein has been a foreign investment advisor for more than 20 years, and assists wealthy foreigners with investments and acquisitions in the United States.
Mermelstein's business endeavors are operated through One & Only Realty and One & Only Holdings, which specialize in the representation of foreign buyers in the acquisition of Real Estate worldwide, and provide family office planning services.
Mermelstein is also the founding partner of Rheem Bell & Mermelstein, a boutique New York City law firm specializing in complex real estate transactions and the resolution of international matters.
Mayor’s Office of International Affairs
News Media & Accomplishments
Mermelstein has appeared on various television networks such as CNBC, Fox Business Network, and Reuters discussing foreign investments in the U.S. marketplace. He has been quoted in articles published by the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal the Financial Times, Reuters, and the New York Observer on topics spanning from price stabilization in the NYC luxury real estate market, to the status of foreign direct investment into the U.S. marketplace. He has also contributed as a guest columnist with Forbes magazine.
The New York Observer named Mermelstein as one of the top ten "Lawyers You Call" in New York. He has been described as an "All Star attorney", and his abilities as a lawyer, consultant and developer have led to him being called a "power attorney" and a "certified triple threat in the real estate world."
Mermelstein is a member of the Board of Overseers for the New York University Department of Arts & Sciences. Mermelstein also served as a mentor to the Young Jewish Professionals Real Estate Network based in New York City.
- "One & Only Realty | New York Real Estate Agent: Houses, Condos and Homes". www.oneandonlyrealty.com. Retrieved 2023-05-09.
- admin. "Rheem Bell & Freeman LLP - Multi-lingual, Transactional & Litigation Law Firm". Rheem Bell & Freeman LLP. Retrieved 2023-05-09.
- Idov, Michael (May 30, 2010). "Klub Prokhorov". New York.
- Idov, Michael (May 30, 2010). "The Russian Invasion". New York.
- "WMU-Cooley Law School". www.cooley.edu. Retrieved 2022-10-28.
- "Russian oligarchs storm property market in US – report". MosNews.com. July 15, 2010.
- "One & Only Realty - Truly Exceptional Luxury Real Estate | Элитная недвижимость в США". www.oneandonlyrealty.com. Retrieved 2018-03-28.
- Mermelstein, Edward. "Edward A. Mermelstein". linkedin.com.
- "Edward A. Mermelstein Announces Partnership With Uel Rheem and Christine Bell to Form Rheem Bell & Mermelstein LLP" (PDF) (Press release). Rheem Bell & Mermelstein LLP. April 26, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- The Real Deal: "5 questions for attorney Edward Mermelstein" October 07, 2010
- "Mayor Adams Announces Members of his Senior Team". www1.nyc.go. January 5, 2022. Retrieved January 5, 2022.
Eric Ulrich joins the Adams administration as senior advisor to the mayor.
- "From Russia with Cash". CNBC. 26 February 2013.
- "Why are Russians Buying up NYC Real Estate?". 3 February 2017.
- Edward Mermelstein on Reuters - Foreign Interest in US Real Estate. YouTube. Archived from the original on 2021-12-09.
- Kaminer, Ariel (11 November 2013). "Giving Foreign Clients a Piece of New York's Luxury Real Estate". The New York Times.
- Barbanel, Josh (30 December 2011). "Penthouse Near Carnegie hall Gets Ever-Higher Asking Price". Wall Street Journal.
- Weaver, Courtney (June 2017). "Trump's legal pugilism faces heavyweight challenge". Financial Times.
- Miller, Sumeet Chatterjee (2 March 2018). "China's latest conglomerate crackdown casts dealmaking shadow". Reuters.
- "Edward Mermelstein". The New York Observer.
- "Chinese Billionaires Have Yuan Concern: Preserving Their Wealth". Forbes.
- Sederstrom, Jotham (December 1, 2009). "The Lawyers You Call". The New York Observer.
- "Edward Mermelstein | the New York Observer". The New York Observer. Archived from the original on 2012-02-15. Retrieved 2011-02-20.
- "Here's Who is Set to Cash in on a Trump Real Estate Surge". 5 December 2016.
- "Staff & Board of Directors - COJECO | COJECO". 2 January 2015.
- "COJECO - the Council of Jewish Émigré Community Organizations".
- Mermelstein, Edward. "Edward A. Mermelstein". as.nyu.edu.
- Young Jewish Professionals Real Estate Network: "Young Jewish Professionals Real Estate Network Holds All Star Panel" by Marc Becker Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine November 13, 2009
- "Edward Mermelstein Appointed President of ZAKA Search & Rescue in the US". 17 October 2018.
- "Grand Marshal + Others Announced for the 2019 Celebrate Israel Parade". 25 May 2019.
- https://celebrateisraelny.org//wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Celebrate-Israel-Parade-2019-Pre-Press-Release.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Officers & Board Members | JDC". 24 January 2021.
- UJA Federation of new York: "UJA-Federation of New York Presents Lifetime Achievement Award to Alex Shchegol - Toby and Ron Hersh receive the Lydia Vareljan Humanitarian Award and Rose Caiola and Edward A. Mermelstein receive the Young Leadership Award Archived 2014-02-01 at the Wayback Machine June 23, 2011