|Occupation||Soul singer, actress|
|Hattie Mae Pierce (Big Momma) in Big Momma's House|
Ella Mitchell (15 August 1937) is an American soul singer and actress. Mitchell is best remembered for playing the comic role as Hattie Mae Pierce (Big Momma) in the 2000 comedy film Big Momma's House and Evillene the evil witch in the original Broadway theatre production of the musical The Wiz.
Mitchell appeared in the 1975 film Lord Shango.
Mitchell was a member of The Gospel All Stars and The Bradford Singers, and performed with the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater for 30 years.
- "LEONARD LOPATE AT THE NEWARK MUSEUM". WNYC. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Ella Mitchell
- Rich, Frank (25 May 1984). "STAGE: 'THE WIZ' BACK ON BROADWAY". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Simon, John (4 June 1984). "The Wiz is as slapdash and soporific as ever. Miss Firecracker is formula Henley-some with among the bizarreness". New York. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Nelson, Nels (22 October 1992). "Moving Down The Road Again 'The Wiz' Comes To Town For Another Visit That's All Too Brief". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Williams, Albert (1 October 1992). "The Wiz". Chicago Reader. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|