Ellen Covey is an American perfumer and professor in the Department of Psychology at the University of Washington.
Early life and career
Born in the United States, Covey's family moved throughout Europe and lived in Switzerland, France, Germany, and Italy during her childhood. She studied premed at the University of Houston and received a masters degree in biology from the University of Texas. At Duke University, she studied chemical senses for her dissertation and got a post-doc at Princeton studying the visual system. She lives in North Seattle Washington, and is a professor of Department of Psychology and affiliate of the Bloedel Hearing Research Center at the University of Washington. Her work centers on mammalian central nervous system, with a research focus on the auditory process of bats and echolocation.
As a perfumer, Covey is the founder and perfumer of Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes. She won the 2015 Art & Olfaction Award Artisan prize for Olympic Orchid's Woodcut in and placed as a 2014 Artisan category finalist for Olympic Orchid's Blackbird. She also has collaborated with Canadian perfume house Zoologist on Bat (2016), which won the Independent prize at the 2016 Art and Olfaction Awards.
Covey also runs an orchid nursery, which instigated and informs her work as a perfumer. Her interest in orchids started at the Duke Medical Center's Immunobiology Department, when she received several orchid plants from a faculty member.
- Blackbird (2013)
- Café V (2013)
- Golden Cattleya
- Red Cattleya
- White Cattleya
- Woodcut (2014)
- Bat (2016)
- Olfactif. "The Amazing Ellen Covey".
- "Ellen Covey - Graduate Program in Neuroscience". depts.washington.edu.
- "Ellen Covey - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com.
- "Report from the second annual Art & Olfaction Awards ~ by Deadidol — Basenotes.net". www.basenotes.net.
- "2016 Winners and Finalists – The Art and Olfaction Awards". www.artandolfactionawards.org.
- "We're Animals, After All".
- Kumar, Surya Praphulla (7 April 2017). "Animal instinct" – via www.thehindu.com.
- Zoologist. "An Interview with Ellen Covey, the perfumer of Zoologist's Bat".
- Hardy, Jesse. ""Like Joni Mitchell's alternate guitar tunings" - An interview with Dr Ellen Covey of Olympic Orchids". www.basenotes.net.