|Industry||Bicycles, Elliptical Trainers|
|Founders||Bryan Pate, Brent Teal|
|Headquarters||Solana Beach, USA|
Bryan Pate, CEOBrent Teal, CTO
A patent for an elliptical bicycle was first registered in 2008. In 2010 ElliptiGo subsequently secured the exclusive rights to the patents., An elliptical bicycle is a device that uses a running-like elliptical motion to propel a bicycle. The first elliptical bike prototype, codenamed “Alfa,” was completed by mid-2006.
In 2010, the ElliptiGO 8S, the company's first commercially available elliptical bike was brought to the market.
In 2015, the American Council on Exercise (ACE) commissioned an independent study to determine the effectiveness of a workout on the ElliptiGO bike and how it measures up to accepted fitness industry guidelines for improving cardio respiratory fitness and body composition.
For the study, researchers from the University of Wisconsin, LaCrosse, had 16 healthy female and male volunteers between the ages of 18 and 45 participate in three 15 to 20-minute practice sessions on the ElliptiGO bike before completing a graded maximal exercise test on a treadmill and a 30-minute exercise session on the ElliptiGO bike. During the graded exercise test, expired air and metabolic responses were measured, in addition to recording each participant’s ratings of perceived exertion (RPE) at the end of each stage of the test. During the 30-minute exercise session, which was only conducted after the researchers deemed the participant proficient on the ElliptiGO bike, heart rate and oxygen consumption was recorded each minute as the subjects exercised at a self-selected pace; session RPE was also recorded. ACE’s study findings concluded that exercising at a self-selected intensity on the ElliptiGO bike met the guidelines on both accounts. The study subjects exercised at an average of 84 percent of HRmax and 75 percent of VO2max during the 30-minute exercise session.
ElliptiGO elliptical bikes are used by some professional runners who use the bike to cross train, or add non-impact cardio hours to their training routine, including 2012 US Olympians Meb Keflezighi and Julie Culley, UK 5000m-specialist Andy Vernon, Dutch elite-marathoner Miranda Boonstra, and 2000 French Olympian Marc Raquil. In addition, some collegiate and professional running teams are using ElliptiGO elliptical bicycles with their athletes, including Stanford University, the University of Guelph in Canada, and The Oregon Track Club Elite.
ElliptiGO sells six different product models in two product lines. The long-stride line includes the 3C, 8C and 11R, with 3, 8 and 11 gears, respectively. The compact-stride line includes the Arc 3, Arc 8 and Arc 24, with 3, 8 and 24 gears, respectively.
- Jennifer Wang (2015-08-18). "A Profitable Alternative to the Bicycle". Entrepreneur.com. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- Fenn, Donna (2011-04-06). "3 Critical Questions for Startup Entrepreneurs". CBS News. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- Gwendolyn Bounds (2010-08-31). "Tough New Workout Gear That Goes Easy on the Joints". WSJ. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- R.J. Ignelzi (2011-07-10). "Training injuries inspire innovative elliptical bike". SanDiegoUnionTribune.com. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- "ACE Study Evaluates the ElliptiGO Outdoor Elliptical Bicycle". Business Wire. 2015-06-18. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- "ACE - ProSource: July 2015 - Ready, Set, ElliptiGO! ACE-commissioned Research Evaluates the ElliptiGO Outdoor Elliptical Machine". Acefitness.org. Retrieved 2015-09-04.
- "New exercise machine trend hits Camp Hill, earns doctor approval | PennLive.com". Blog.pennlive.com. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2015-09-04.