April 18, 1916|
New York City, USA
|Died||October 30, 1991
New York City, USA
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Known for||Lie–Kolchin theorem
|Doctoral advisor||Joseph Ritt|
|Doctoral students||Azriel Rosenfeld
Ellis Robert Kolchin (April 18, 1916 – October 30, 1991) was an American mathematician at Columbia University. Kolchin earned a doctorate in mathematics from Columbia University in 1941 under supervision of Joseph Ritt. He was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1954 and 1961.
Kolchin worked on differential algebra and its relation to differential equations, and founded the modern theory of linear algebraic groups. His doctoral students include Azriel Rosenfeld and Irving Adler.
- Kolchin, E. R. (1985), Differential algebraic groups, Pure and Applied Mathematics, 114, Boston, MA: Academic Press, ISBN 978-0-12-417640-9, MR 776230
- Kolchin, E. R. (1973), Differential algebra and algebraic groups, Pure and Applied Mathematics, 54, Boston, MA: Academic Press, ISBN 978-0-12-417650-8, MR 0568864
- Kolchin, Ellis (1999), Selected works of Ellis Kolchin with commentary, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-0542-8, MR 1677530
- Magid, Andy R. (2000). "Review: Selected works of Ellis Kolchin, by H. Bass, A. Buium, and P.J. Cassidy (eds.)" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.). 37 (3): 337–342. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-00-00862-4.
- Bass, Hyman; Cassidy, Phyllis J.; Kovacic, Jerald, eds. (1977), Contributions to algebra, A collection of papers dedicated to Ellis Kolchin, New York: Academic Press [Harcourt Brace Jovanovich Publishers], ISBN 978-0-12-080550-1, MR 0457031
- Bass, Hyman; Cassidy, Phyllis (1992), "Ellis Kolchin (1916--1991)", Notices of the American Mathematical Society, 39 (6): 599–600, ISSN 0002-9920, MR 1170740
- Borel, Armand (2001), Essays in the history of Lie groups and algebraic groups, History of Mathematics, 21, Providence, R.I.: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 978-0-8218-0288-5, MR 1847105
- Hevesi, Dennis (November 3, 1991), "Prof. Ellis R. Kolchin Dies at 75; A Shaper of Differential Algebra", New York Times obituary
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Ellis Kolchin", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|