3 June 1976 |
|Alma mater||Laine Theatre Arts|
|Website||Enda Markey Presents|
Enda Markey (born 3 June 1976, Dublin) is an Irish-born Sydney, Australia-based Theatrical producer and former singer and actor. He is the producer of the stage productions Side by Side by Sondheim and the Australasian tour of Boublil & Schonberg's Do You Hear The People Sing? and the Australian revival of Willy Russell's Blood Brothers.
At sixteen, he was awarded a scholarship to train at London's Laine Theatre Arts' Musical Theatre Course. Following his training, he played Rick in the London production of A Slice of Saturday Night. He appeared in the Irish premiere of Follies with Lorna Luft, Dave Willetts and Millicent Martin. Follies was followed by an appearance in Side By Side By Sondheim, giving Markey his first starring role. Side By Side was immediately followed by his return to A Slice of Saturday Night in Dublin, recreating the role of Rick for a sell-out season.
Theatrical appearances in Australia include The Mangina Monologues in Melbourne and Sydney and the world premiere of Flying Solo with Paula Duncan, Noeline Brown, Jacinta John and Barry Quin, directed by Judy Nunn.
As a concert and cabaret performer, Enda appeared in leading venues around the world and made numerous appearances on television.
Side By Side By Sondheim
In April 2011, Markey produced and starred in a new Australian production of Side By Side By Sondheim, appearing alongside Margi de Ferranti, Amelia Cormack and Jessica Rowe This production toured until November 2012, eventually replacing Cormack with Rachael Beck and then Lucy Maunder; De Ferranti with Geraldine Turner and Markey with Michael Falzon (retaining his role a producer).
On 20 April 2012, Markey produced a Gala Concert version of Side By Side by Sondheim featuring Ruthie Henshall at the Theatre Royal. The gala was held to support White Ribbon Australia, a charity which seeks to raise awareness of violence against women.  The gala was part of an ongoing tour, which had started in April 2011 at Sydney's Seymour Centre.
The cast, described as "some of the brightest stars in musical theatre" included
Do You Hear The People Sing?
Enda Markey Presents Do You Hear The People Sing? premiered at Shanghai Grand Theatre 27 November until 1 December 2013. Markey, together with Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg presented a fundraising performance of the show at Resorts World Manila starring Lea Salonga, David Harris and Marie Zamora with Filipino performers making guest appearances. Do You Hear The People Sing? continued its tour at Taipei International Convention Centre starring Michael Ball, David Harris, Amanda Harrison, Ana Marina and Jennifer Paz.
The cast for the tour are
Do You Hear The People Sing? features the work of Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schönberg including music from Les Misérables, Miss Saigon, Martin Guerre, The Pirate Queen and La Revolution Francaise. It is conducted by Gerard Salonga and directed by Andrew Pole.
In February 2015, Enda Markey presented Blood Brothers at the Hayes Theatre in Sydney, starring Helen Dallimore, Bobby Fox, Blake Bowden and Michael Cormick. The show will open in Melbourne in July 2015 for a limited season.
- The Enda Markey Official Website
- Litson, Jo (September 30, 2014). "Blood Brothers back in Sydney after 20 years: Hayes Threatre Co to stage London’s third longest-running show next month". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "Enda Markey". Who Is Log. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Expat Dubliner to bring Sondheim to Sydney". Irish Echo. 10 April 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Side By Side By Sondheim - The Official Website
- John P. Harvey. "Side by Side by Sondheim". Stage WHispers. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- Cassie Tongue (April 28, 2012). "Side by Side by Sondheim: a star-studded event". AussieTheatre. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- John P. Harvey. "Side by Side by Sondheim". Stage Whispers. Retrieved 19 January 2013.
- "Side By Side By Sondheim". Enda Markey Presents. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Do You Hear The People Sing?". Enda Markey Presents. Retrieved 30 August 2013.
- "Enda Markey Presents". Enda Markey Presents. Retrieved 30 August 2013..
- Jacqueline Bublitz (17 September 2013). "Michael Ball and Lea Salonga Headline Do You Hear the People Sing? in Shanghai, 11/27". Broadwayworld.com. Retrieved 17 September 2013.