Episcopal Diocese of Liberia
During the 1851 General Convention of the Episcopal Church, the Rev. John Payne, a missionary from Virginia was consecrated as missionary bishop for Cape Palmas and other areas of West Africa, which became Liberia.
The name of the jurisdiction was changed to the Missionary District of Liberia on October 17, 1913, and to the Episcopal Diocese of Liberia on January 1, 1970.
Although some Anglican churches in Africa recently broke away in a dispute concerning the ordination of homosexuals as clergy, the Episcopal Diocese of Liberia remains in full communion.
Bishops of the Episcopal Diocese of Liberia include:
- John Payne (1851-1871)
- John Gottlieb Auer (1873-1874)
- Charles Clifton Penick (1874-?)
- Samuel David Ferguson (1885-1916)
- Walter H. Overs (1919-)
- Theophilus Momolu Gardiner (1921-
- Robert E. Campbell (bishop) (1925-1936)
- Leopold Kroll (1936-1945)
- Bravid W. Harris (1947-1964)
- Dillard H. Brown Jr. (1961-
- George Browne (1970-1989)
- Jonathan Hart (2007- )