Equatorial Palm Oil
Equatorial Palm Oil plc (EPO) is a palm oil company from London, United Kingdom. It is listed on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) of the London Stock Exchange. Equatorial Palm Oil plc was founded in 2005. Effective December 20, 2013, KL-Kepong International Ltd, a wholly owned unit of Kuala Lumpur Kepong Berhad acquired 63.181% interest in Equatorial Palm Oil PLC. Major brands including Kellogg's, Kraft Foods, Nestlé, Unilever, Procter & Gamble, and General Mills have been reported as direct or indirect consumers of KLK palm oil.
Activity in Liberia
It has a concession in Grand Bassa, Rivercess and Sinoe Counties in Liberia of 169,000 hectares, including 1000 hectares of plantation land in 2010. It holds interests in 34,398 hectares of land at Palm Bay area; 54,550 hectares of land at Butaw area; and 80,000 hectares of land in River Cess County. Hectares of its plantation area in Liberia were set on fire in the course of a land dispute with locals. Some locals have accused the company of not putting people originating in the area into top jobs. Residents have often accused the district’s representative, Hon. Robertson Siawaye and others politicians of plotting against them and siding with the company to take away their land. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf said that they can rest assure that there would be no further expansion by EPO.  EPO is accused of involvement in the arbitrary arrest and assault of Liberian community members who claim that they were resisting EPO's efforts to take their land.  In September 2013, officers from the EPO security team and the Liberian Police reportedly worked together to assault and beat Jogbahn community members who were peacefully protesting the company's operations.
- "EQUATORIAL PALM OIL PLC (PAL:London): Stock Quote & Company Profile - Businessweek". investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "Stock Quotes & Company News | Reuters.com". reuters.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- Barnes, G.; Child, B. (2014). Adaptive Cross-Scalar Governance of Natural Resources. Taylor & Francis. p. 87. ISBN 9781317916468. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "FrontPageAfrica - Equatorial Palm Oil Faces Arson Attacks Amid Bassa Land Dispute". frontpageafricaonline.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "FrontPageAfrica - Grand Bassa County Celebrate Halting of EPO Expansion Drive". frontpageafricaonline.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "News :: FrontPageAfricaonline.com - All Things Africa 24/7". frontpageafricaonline.com. Archived from the original on 2014-10-04. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "allAfrica.com: Liberia: Communities Protest That UK's Equatorial Palm Oil Are Poised to Seize Land in Liberia (Page 1 of 2)". allafrica.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.