Eric Patrick is an independent filmmaker, freelance animator, Guggenheim fellow, musician, and educator. He is currently a tenured professor in the Radio-TV-Film program at Northwestern University.
Originally from Port Arthur, Texas, he played in a band throughout the southern United States before he studied art and film at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. He completed his MFA in experimental animation at California Institute of the Arts (1997).
Patrick’s films focus on low-tech, traditional, film-based techniques to explore ideas of consciousness and decay. According to the Southern Arts Federation, his films are "filled with eerily beautiful visuals that evoke a surreal, otherworldly feel which is complemented by the absence of a traditional narrative." He has been awarded grants from the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, the Texas Filmmakers’ Production Fund, and The Rooftop Film Fund.
His films have won awards at The Black Maria Film Festival, The Humboldt International Film Festival, Semana de Cine Experimental de Madrid, South by Southwest Film Festival (SXSW), The Ann Arbor Film Festival, U.S.A. Film Festival, Big Muddy Film Festival, and Festival de Cinema Independent de Barcelona.
His filmwork includes Stark Film (1997), Ablution (2001), and Startle Pattern (2005).
Patrick has also worked as a commercial animator, most prominently for the Nickelodeon program Blue's Clues. He has taught film and animation production at the University of Texas Austin, University of North Carolina Greensboro, and Northwestern University. His writing on animated documentaries and on ritual in animation have appeared in Animac journal.
- School of Communication at Northwestern University :: School of Communication :: New Faculty 2006
- Independent Exposure - Eric Patrick
- Southern Arts Federation - Supporting Arts in the South Since 1975 | Southern Arts Federation
- Guggenheim Foundation 2006 Fellows Page Archived October 27, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- The Austin Chronicle: Search Results
- Black Maria Film Festival
- September 2007 - Eric Patrick | Southern Arts Federation
- 1uffakind ))) gallery ))) eric patrick
- Animac - Magazine
|This article about a United States film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to an American animator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|