He is best known for his book on exploitation filmmaking, Bold! Daring! Shocking! True: A History of Exploitation Films, 1919-1959, published by Duke University Press in 1999. He has been described as "the go-to academic source on the genre of exploitation films."
- Bold! Daring! Shocking! True": A History of Exploitation Films, 1919-1959 (1999) - Duke University Press.
- "Plain Brown Wrapper: Adult Films for the Home Market, 1930-1970", In the Absence of Films: Towards a New Historiographic Practice, Eric Smoodin and Jon Lewis, editors, Duke University Press.
- "Gauging a Revolution: 16mm Film and the Rise of the Pornographic Feature". Cinema Journal - 41, Number 3, Spring 2002, pp. 3–26.
- "Dirty Little Secrets: Scholars, Archivists, and Dirty Movies". The Moving Image - Volume 5, Number 2, Fall 2005, pp. 79–105
- Maria Chutchian (9/11/08). "Three departments to receive new leadership". The Berkeley Beacon. Archived from the original on 2009-10-09. Check date values in:
- Emerson College
- Northeast Historic Film website
- The Moving Image, editorial board
|This biography of an American historian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|