11 September 1965|
12 March 2016 (aged 50)|
|Known for||IEEE LOM, ARIADNE|
|Fields||Augmenting Human Intellect|
|Institutions||Katholieke Universiteit Leuven|
Erik Duval (11 September 1965 – 12 March 2016) was a Belgian computer scientist. Duval chaired the informatics section of the computer science department of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, where he also chaired the research unit on human-computer interaction. His research was situated in the long-standing quest to augment the human intellect.
Life and career
Duval served on the executive committee of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR), as a fellow of the AACE, as a member of ACM, and the IEEE computer society, on the Editorial Review Board and the Executive Advisory Board of the International Journal on E-Learning, as an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT), on the board of editors of the Journal of Universal Computer Science, and as a member of the informatics section of the Academia Europeae.
In the last stages of his research career, Duval and his team were focused on:
- Capturing user actions for analysis of the user experience (with sensors like brainwave, ECG, eyetracking, … but also software sensors that track what people do)
- Personal information visualisation, where we try to help users with awareness, reflection, sensemaking, and behaviour change.
Typical application areas for this research included
- technology enhanced learning and learning analytics,
- science2.0 and digital humanities,
- personal health,
- data journalism.
Selected academic works
- 2002, Metadata Principles and Practicalities
- 2002, IEEE Standard for learning object metadata
- 2002, Reusable learning objects: a survey of LOM-based repositories
- 2001, The Ariadne knowledge pool system
- 2003, A LOM Research Agenda
- 2007, Social Software for Lifelong learning
- 2005, Automating metadata generation: the simple indexing interface
- 2007, Tracking actual usage: the attention metadata approach
- 2011, Attention please!: learning analytics for visualization and recommendation
In March 2014, Duval was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. After chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant, a PET scan mid-January 2015 did not show any more traces of the disease. In the summer of 2015, a new diagnose revealed T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma. Duval died on March 12, 2016.
To honor the memory of Erik Duval, the [Society for Learning Analytics Research] created Erik Duval Student Scholarships to o provide support for students attending Learning Analytics Summer Institute.
- "ARIADNE Foundation - Homepage". Ariadne-eu.org.
- "In memoriam Prof. dr. ir. Erik Duval". KULeuven Departement Computerwetenschappen.
- "Informatics section K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- "Computer science department K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- "Research unit on human-computer interaction K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- Erik Duval at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Erik Duval publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Duval, Erik; Hodgins, Wayne; Sutton, Stuart; Weibel, Stuart L (2002). "Metadata principles and practicalities". D-Lib Magazine. 8 (4): 16. doi:10.1045/april2002-weibel.
- Neven, Filip; Duval, Erik (2002-12-01). Reusable learning objects: a survey of LOM-based repositories (PDF). 10th ACM International Conference on Multimedia. pp. 291–294.
- Duval, Erik; Forte, Eddy; Cardinaels, Kris; Verhoeven, Bart; Van Durm, Rafael; Hendrikx, Koen; Wentland Forte, Maria; Ebel, Norbert; Macowicz, Maciej; Warkentyne, Ken; Haenni, Florence (2001-05-01). "The Ariadne knowledge pool system" (PDF). Communications of the ACM. 44 (5): 72–78. doi:10.1145/374308.374346.
- Duval, Erik; Hodgins, Wayne (2003-05-20). A LOM Research Agenda (PDF). WWW (Alternat Paper Tracks).
- Klamma, Ralf; Chatti, Mohamed Amine; Duval, Erik; Hummel, Hans; Thora Hvannberg, Ebba; Kravcik, Milos; Law, Effie; Ambjörn, Naeve; Scott, Peter (2007-07-01). "Social Software for Life-long Learning" (PDF). Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 10 (3).
- Cardinaels, Kris; Meire, Michael; Duval, Erik (2005-05-10). Automating metadata generation: the simple indexing interface (PDF). 14th international conference on World Wide Web. ACM. pp. 548–556.
- Wolpers, Martin; Najjar, Jehad; Verbert, Katrien; Duval, Erik (2007-07-01). "Tracking actual usage: the attention metadata approach" (PDF). Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 10 (3): 106–121.
- Duval, Erik (2011-02-27). Attention please!: learning analytics for visualization and recommendation. 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge. pp. 9–17.
- "Erik Duval na non-hodgekinlymfoom - Homepage". allesoverkanker.be.
- "Erik Duval Blog, July 6th 2015". Erik Duval.
- "Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of SoLAR" (PDF).