|Born||11 September 1965|
|Died||12 March 2016 (aged 50)|
|Known for||IEEE LOM, ARIADNE|
|Fields||Augmenting Human Intellect|
|Institutions||Katholieke Universiteit Leuven|
Erik Duval (11 September 1965 – 12 March 2016) was a Belgian computer scientist. Duval chaired the informatics section of the computer science department of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, where he also chaired the research unit on human-computer interaction. His research was situated in the long-standing quest to augment the human intellect.
Life and career
Duval served on the executive committee of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (SoLAR), as a fellow of the AACE, as a member of ACM, and the IEEE computer society, on the Editorial Review Board and the Executive Advisory Board of the International Journal on E-Learning, as an associate editor of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies (TLT), on the board of editors of the Journal of Universal Computer Science, and as a member of the informatics section of the Academia Europeae.
In the last stages of his research career, Duval and his team were focused on:
- Capturing user actions for analysis of the user experience (with sensors like brainwave, ECG, eyetracking, … but also software sensors that track what people do)
- Personal information visualisation, where we try to help users with awareness, reflection, sensemaking, and behaviour change.
Typical application areas for this research included
- technology enhanced learning and learning analytics,
- science2.0 and digital humanities,
- personal health,
- data journalism.
Selected academic works
- 2002, Metadata Principles and Practicalities
- 2002, IEEE Standard for learning object metadata
- 2002, Reusable learning objects: a survey of LOM-based repositories
- 2001, The Ariadne knowledge pool system
- 2003, A LOM Research Agenda
- 2007, Social Software for Lifelong learning
- 2005, Automating metadata generation: the simple indexing interface
- 2007, Tracking actual usage: the attention metadata approach
- 2011, Attention please!: learning analytics for visualization and recommendation
In March 2014, Duval was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. After chemotherapy and a stem cell transplant, a PET scan mid-January 2015 did not show any more traces of the disease. In the summer of 2015, a new diagnose revealed T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma. Duval died on March 12, 2016.
To honor the memory of Erik Duval, the Society for Learning Analytics Research created Erik Duval Student Scholarships to provide support for students attending Learning Analytics Summer Institute.
- "ARIADNE Foundation - Homepage". Ariadne-eu.org.
- "In memoriam Prof. dr. ir. Erik Duval". KULeuven Departement Computerwetenschappen.
- "Informatics section K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- "Computer science department K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- "Research unit on human-computer interaction K.U. Leuven - Homepage". kuleuven.be.
- Erik Duval at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Erik Duval publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Duval, Erik; Hodgins, Wayne; Sutton, Stuart; Weibel, Stuart L (2002). "Metadata principles and practicalities". D-Lib Magazine. 8 (4): 16. doi:10.1045/april2002-weibel.
- Neven, Filip; Duval, Erik (2002-12-01). Reusable learning objects: a survey of LOM-based repositories (PDF). 10th ACM International Conference on Multimedia. pp. 291–294.
- Duval, Erik; Forte, Eddy; Cardinaels, Kris; Verhoeven, Bart; Van Durm, Rafael; Hendrikx, Koen; Wentland Forte, Maria; Ebel, Norbert; Macowicz, Maciej; Warkentyne, Ken; Haenni, Florence (2001-05-01). "The Ariadne knowledge pool system" (PDF). Communications of the ACM. 44 (5): 72–78. doi:10.1145/374308.374346.
- Duval, Erik; Hodgins, Wayne (2003-05-20). A LOM Research Agenda (PDF). WWW (Alternat Paper Tracks).
- Klamma, Ralf; Chatti, Mohamed Amine; Duval, Erik; Hummel, Hans; Thora Hvannberg, Ebba; Kravcik, Milos; Law, Effie; Ambjörn, Naeve; Scott, Peter (2007-07-01). "Social Software for Life-long Learning" (PDF). Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 10 (3).
- Cardinaels, Kris; Meire, Michael; Duval, Erik (2005-05-10). Automating metadata generation: the simple indexing interface (PDF). 14th international conference on World Wide Web. ACM. pp. 548–556.
- Wolpers, Martin; Najjar, Jehad; Verbert, Katrien; Duval, Erik (2007-07-01). "Tracking actual usage: the attention metadata approach" (PDF). Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 10 (3): 106–121.
- Duval, Erik (2011-02-27). Attention please!: learning analytics for visualization and recommendation. 1st International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge. pp. 9–17.
- "Erik Duval na non-hodgekinlymfoom - Homepage". allesoverkanker.be.
- "Erik Duval Blog, July 6th 2015". Erik Duval.
- "Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of SoLAR" (PDF).
- "00.255 - auditorium Erik Duval - KULeuven Access Guide".