Ernle Dusgate Selby Bradford (11 January 1922, Cole Green, Norfolk, England – 8 May 1986) was a noted 20th-century British historian specializing in the Mediterranean world and naval topics. A keen yachtsman himself, Bradford spent almost 30 years sailing the Mediterranean, and many of his books are set there. His book, The Journeying Moon describes some of these voyages. It ends with the sale of his Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter, Mischief, to HW Bill Tilman, who made a number of significant voyages in it to high latitudes. Bradford lived in Kalkara, Malta for a number of years. Sometime BBC broadcaster and magazine editor, Bradford was a prolific author.
The son of Jocelyn Ernle Sydney Patton Bradford and his wife, Ada Louise Dusgate, he was educated at Uppingham School, Rutland. He also served in the Royal Navy during World War II, finishing as the first Lieutenant of a destroyer.
Partial list of works
- Southward the Caravels: The Story of Henry the Navigator, 1961.
- The Great Siege, Malta 1565, 1961.
- The Touchstone, 1962
- Ulysses Found, 1963.
- Reisen mit Odysseus, a German edition of the above.
- Ulisse ritrovato: un'avventura intorno alla Sicilia, an Italian edition of the above.
- Thermopylae: The Battle for the West. Also published as The Year of Thermopylae.
- Paul the Traveller.
- Julius Caesar: The Pursuit of Power.
- The Sword and the Scimitar: The Saga of the Crusades.
- The Shield and the Sword: The Knights of Malta. Also published as The Shield and the Sword: The Knights of St. John.
- The Great Betrayal: Constantinople 1204.
- The Wind Off the Island.
- The Sultan's Admiral: Barbarossa. Also published as The Sultan's Admiral: The Life of Barbarossa.
- Christopher Columbus.
- (Editor): The Great Siege of Malta 1565: Translated from the Spanish Edition of 1568 by Francisco Balbi di Correggio.
- Nelson: The Essential Hero.
- The Mighty Hood: The Life and Death of the Royal Navy's Proudest Ship.
- The Story of the Mary Rose.
- Siege: Malta 1940-1943.
- Mediterranean: Portrait of a Sea.
- The Companion Guide to the Greek Isles.
- Three Centuries of Sailing.
- The America's Cup.
- The Journeying Moon.