Ernst Leo Albin Fasan (born August 1926) is an Austrian lawyer and a recognized authority in space law, including metalaw. He was born in Vienna, Austria. Fasan grew up in Neunkirchen and attended school in Wiener Neustadt. In 1950 he earned his Doctor of Law at the University of Vienna.
Fasan has published numerous papers on problems of space law, including metalaw and the scientific Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). In 1970, Fasan published what remains the seminal book on Metalaw, Relations with Alien Intelligences: The Scientific Basis of Metalaw. Fasan was a practicing attorney when in 1958 he helped to establish the Permanent Committee on Space Law of the International Astronautical Federation. Two years later his friend, colleague and fellow space law pioneer Andrew G. Haley invited him to join the committee's successor, the International Institute of Space Law. Fasan was elected to the IISL board of directors in 1962 and also subsequently served as an officer of the organization. In 1963 the IISL awarded Fasan the Andrew G. Haley Gold Medal.
In June 2008, as an honorary director, Fasan was among those representing the IISL when it was granted Permanent Observer status before the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (COPUOS). Fasan remains active in the SETI field as a member of the SETI Permanent Study Group of the International Academy of Astronautics.
- Patricia M. Sterns, Leslie I. Tennen: Private Law, Public Law, Metalaw and Public Policy in Space - A Liber Amicorum in Honor of Ernst Fasan. Springer, Cham 2016, ISBN 978-3-319-27085-2.
- Patricia M. Sterns, et al.: Private Law, Public Law, Metalaw and Public Policy in Space - A Liber Amicorum in Honor of Ernst Fasan. Springer, Cham 2016, ISBN 978-3-319-27085-2, page: xvii.
- Ernst Fasan, Relations with Alien Intelligences: The Scientific Basis of Metalaw, Berlin Verlag, Berlin, 1970
- Adam Chase Korbitz (2010) The Limits of Metalaw and the Need for Further Elaboration, Paper IAC-10-A4.2.10, presented at the 39th Symposium on the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, 61st International Astronautical Congress, 2010, Prague, Czech Republic
- B.P. Besser, Austria's Ascent into Space: A short historical account, Proceedings of the Concluding Workshop of the Extended ESA History Project, 13–13 April 2005
- Awards of the International Institute of Space Law
- B.P. Besser, Austria's Ascent into Space: A short historical account, Proceedings of the Concluding Workshop of the Extended ESA History Project, 13-13 April 2005
- A Short Biography of Dr. Ernst Fasan, by Adam Chase Korbitz
- Metalaw and SETI
|This article about an Austrian lawyer, judge or jurist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|