|Alma mater||New York University Tandon School of Engineering|
|Known for||Convex geometry|
|Institutions||Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences|
New York University Tandon School of Engineering
|Doctoral advisor||Heinrich Guggenheimer|
Erwin Lutwak (born 9 February 1946, Chernivtsi, now Ukraine), is a mathematician. Lutwak is professor at the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences at New York University in New York City. His main research interests are convex geometry and its connections with analysis and information theory.
He spent the earliest years of his childhood in the Soviet Union, Romania, Israel, Italy, and Venezuela before he settled in Brooklyn when he was ten. He graduated from the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, now New York University Tandon School of Engineering with a B.S. in 1968, a M.S. in 1972 and with a Ph.D. in 1974. Before he became professor at the Courant Institute at NYU, he was a professor at New York University Tandon School of Engineering. His first position in 1975 was at the Polytechnic Institute of New York (which was created as a result of the merger of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn and the NYU School of Engineering).
He is a member of the editorial boards of the Advances in Mathematics, the Canadian Journal of Mathematics, the Canadian Mathematical Bulletin, and the Cambridge University Press Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications.
Erwin Lutwak is known for his Dual Brunn Minkowski Theory, his notion of intersection body and his contribution to the solution of the Busemann–Petty problem, for proving the long-conjectured upper-semicontinuity of affine surface area, his contributions to the Lp Brunn Minkowski Theory and, in particular, his Lp Minkowski problem and its solution in important cases.
- "Professor of Mathematics Erwin Lutwak Might Be Feted in the World's Capitals but Brooklyn Remains Home". Engineering.nyu.edu. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Advances in Mathematics - Editorial Board". Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "CJM/CMB Editorial Board". Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications". Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "American Mathematical Society". Ams.org. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- "Technische Universität Wien : Akademische Würdenträger_innen". Tuwien.ac.at. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Lutwak, Erwin (1975). "Dual mixed volumes". Pacific Journal of Mathematics. 58: 531–538.
- Lutwak, Erwin (1988), "Intersection bodies and dual mixed volumes", Advances in Mathematics, 71: 232–261.
- "The first resource for mathematics". Zbmath.org. Retrieved 26 November 2017.
- Lutwak, Erwin (1991), "Extended affine surface area", Advances in Mathematics, 85: 39–68.
- Lutwak, Erwin (1993), "The Brunn-Minkowski-Firey theory. I. Mixed volumes and the Minkowski problem.", Journal of Differential Geometry, 38: 131–150.
- Böröczky, Karoly; Lutwak, Erwin; Yang, Deane; Zhang, Gaoyong (2013), "The logarithmic Minkowski problem.", Journal of the American Mathematical Society, 26: 831–852.