Ilfeld in 2009
|Born||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Stanford University (BS)|
University of Southern California (MA)
Etan Ilfeld is a London-based entrepreneur and the founder of Tenderpixel gallery, Tenderbooks, Tenderflix, Repeater Books, and the owner and managing director of Watkins Books and the Mind Sports Olympiad. Ilfeld is the inventor of Diving Chess and the author of Beyond Contemporary Art, an image-driven contemporary art book, which spans disciplines ranging from science, design and architecture to new media, film-making and performance art.
Ilfeld graduated at the top of his undergraduate Physics class at Stanford University and was awarded the David Levine Award. He is also a member of Phi Beta Kappa and holds a Masters in Film Studies from the University of Southern California, and a Masters in Interactive Media from Goldsmiths, University of London.
Ilfeld is the owner of Watkins Books, London's oldest Mind Body Spirit bookshop (established in 1893). He is also the editor-in-chief of the Watkins' Mind Body Spirit magazine. In the February 2011 issue of Watkins' Mind Body Spirit magazine, Ilfeld launched the 100 Spiritual List, which ranks the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People in the world. The 100 Spiritual list continues to be published annually.
In 2014, Watkins Media acquired Watkins Publishing, Nourish, and Angry Robot from Osprey Publishing. Ilfeld launched an additional imprint within Watkins Media called Repeater Books in 2016, which focuses on politics and philosophy.
Ilfeld is a competitive strategy games player having won the World Amateur Poker Championship title at the Mind Sports Olympiad in 2010. Ilfeld is a US Chess Federation National Chess Master, and the inventor of Diving Chess, a chess variant played in a pool such that each player can think during their turn for as long as they can hold their breath underwater. He is currently the chief organizer of the Mind Sports Olympiad.
Media and Art
In 2007, Ilfeld founded Tenderpixel Gallery, a contemporary art gallery in central London. In 2008, Tenderpixel began hosting an annual experimental film competition known as Tenderflix. Ilfeld is also a digital artist and his New Kind of Cinema work was showcased at TEDxLondon in 2011, included in the Apparatjik iPhone magazine and archived in Rhizome's ArtBase. New Kind of Cinema was programmed in Mathematica and inspired by the usage of cellular automata after training with Stephen Wolfram in Pisa during the summer of 2009. Ilfeld was also an executive producer of the feature films Killer Pad (directed by Robert Englund), and Remainder an adaptation of Tom McCarthy's Remainder_(novel) directed by Omer Fast. Ilfeld also produced the sci-fi graphic novel, Binary, based on Chris Hinz's award winning Liege-Killer novel. He has written extensively on contemporary art. His article Contemporary Art and Cybernetics was published in the peer-reviewed Leonardo Journal published by MIT Press in February 2012, and his book, Beyond Contemporary Art, was published in October 2012 by Vivays Publishing.
- "Have we moved Beyond Contemporary Art?". flaneur.me.uk.
- "Beyond Contemporary Art: Amazon.co.uk: Etan Ilfeld: 9781908126221: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- "Book review: Beyond Contemporary Art". we-make-money-not-art.com.
- Kindred Spirit, Issue 109, March/April 2011
- "Westend Extra, April 2010". Westendextra.com. 2010-04-02. Archived from the original on 2013-06-14. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "FirstyNews, May 2011". Publishingperspectives.com. 2011-05-09. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- Tendertheory Limited (3 December 2011). "Watkins Ebooks and Magazines". App Store.
- "100 Spiritual Power List by Watkins, 2011 | Esoteric News". Watkinsbooks.com. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Osprey sells off Watkins, Angry Robot and Nourish". The Bookseller. Retrieved 2015-01-19.
- "Watkins to launch Repeater imprint in January | The Bookseller". www.thebookseller.com. Retrieved 2017-11-01.
- "Introducing Diving Chess!". ChessBase News. 20 August 2016.
- http://content.yudu.com/A1vdb5/ChessLifeFeb2012/resources/12.htm Chess Life magazine, February 2012
- "Underwater chess is one of the mind games at Mind Sports Olympiad". thestar.com. 12 June 2012.
- "Board games: bringing the Olympic spirit to the sitting room". Telegraph.co.uk. 3 August 2012.
- "'I invented diving chess'". www.ft.com. 12 August 2016.
- "'Contestants breathless as underwater chess plumbs new depths'". www.untvweb.com. 28 August 2018.
- "Tenderpixel". tenderpixel.com.
- "Tenderflix 2013 - Tenderpixel". tenderpixel.com.
- "A New Kind Of Cinema". Rhizome. 2009-07-17. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "NKS Blog". Thenksblog.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2012-03-08.
- "Talking Comics with Tim - Jon Proctor on 'Binary' - Robot 6 @ Comic Book Resources". Robot 6 @ Comic Book Resources.
- "Binary: Amazon.co.uk: Christopher Hinz, Stephan Martiniere, Stuart Moore, Marie Javins, Jon Proctor, Etan Ilfeld: 9781484862742: Books". amazon.co.uk.
- Volume 45, Issue 1, 2012