This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
His main research areas include silviculture, growth and yield modelling, hybrid modelling and decision-support (applied artificial intelligence). He is skilled in the field of dendrology, the identification of tree species. He was editor of the New Zealand Journal of Forestry from 2006.
- Mason, E.G., & P.G. Milne. 1999. 'Effects of weed control, fertilisation and soil cultivation on the growth of Pinus radiata D.Don at mid-rotation in Canterbury, New Zealand'. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29 (7):985-992.
- Mason, E.G., & B. Kirongo. 1999. 'Responses of radiata pine clones to varying levels of pasture competition in a semi-arid environment'. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 29 (7):934-939.
- Mason, E.G. 2000. 'Evaluation of a model of beech forest growing on the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand'. New Zealand Journal of Forestry, 44 (4): 26-31.
- Mason, E.G. 2001. 'A model of the juvenile growth and survival of Pinus radiata D. Don: Adding the effects of initial seedling diameter and plant handling'. New Forests, 22: 133-158
- Lassere, J., Mason, E.G, & Watt, M.S. 2004. 'The influence of initial stocking on corewood stiffness in a clonal experiment of 11-year-old Pinus radiata D.Don'. New Zealand Journal of Forestry, 44 (3), 18-23.
- Mason, E.G. 2005. 'Effects of soil cultivation, fertilisation, initial seedling diameter and plant handling on the development of maturing Pinus radiata D.Don on Kaingaroa gravelly sand in the Central North Island of New Zealand'. Bosque 25 (2): 43-55.
- Lasserre, J.P., Mason, E.G. and Watt, M.S. 2005. 'The effects of genotype and spacing on Pinus radiata D.Don corewood stiffness in an 11-year-old experiment'. Forest Ecology and Management, 205, 375-383.
- Richardson, B., Watt, M.S., Mason, E.G., & Kriticos, D.J. 2006. 'Advances in modelling and decision support systems for vegetation management in young forest plantations'. Forestry 79: 29-42.
- Mason, E.G. 2006. 'Interactions between influences of genotype and grass competition on growth and wood stiffness of juvenile radiata pine in a summer-dry environment'. Canadian Journal of Forest Research. 36 (10): 2454-2463.
- Pinjuv, G., Mason, E.G, and Watt, M.S. 2006. 'Quantitative validation and comparison of a range of forest growth models'. Forest Ecology and Management. 236, 37-46.
- Mason, E.G., and Dzierzon, H. 2006. 'Applications of modeling to vegetation management'. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 36, 2505-2514.
- Dzierzon, H. and Mason, E.G. 2006. 'Towards a nationwide growth and yield model for radiata pine plantations in New Zealand'. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 36 2533-2543.
- Bown, H.E., Watt, M.S., Clinton, P.W., Mason, E.G., & Richardson, B. 2007. 'Partititioning concurrent influences of nitrogen and phosphorus supply on photosynthetic model parameters of Pinus radiata'. Tree Physiology, 27, 335 – 344.
- Lasserre, J.P., Mason, E.G., & Watt, M.S. 2007. 'Assessing corewood acoustic velocity and modulus of elasticity with two impact based instruments in 11-year-old trees from a clonal-spacing experiment of Pinus radiata D.Don'. Forest Ecology and Management, 279, 217-221.
- Waghorn, M.J., Mason, E.G., & Watt, M.S. 2007. 'Assessing interactions between initial stand stocking and genotype on growth and form of 17-year-old Pinus radiata in Canterbury, New Zealand Journal of Forestry, 52 (1).