Eugene C. Bingham
Eugene Cook Bingham (8 December 1878 – 6 November 1945) was a professor and head of the department of chemistry at Lafayette College. Bingham made many contributions to rheology, a term he is credited (along with Markus Reiner) with introducing. He was a pioneer in both its theory and practice. The type of fluid known as a Bingham plastic or Bingham Fluid is named after him, as is Bingham Stress. He was also one of the people responsible for the construction of the Appalachian Trail.
He was awarded the Franklin Institute's Certificate of Merit in 1921 for his variable pressure viscometer. In 1922, as chairman of the Metric Committee of the American Chemical Society, he campaigned for the United States to adopt the metric system.
- Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry (1914) vol. 6(3) pp. 233–237: A new viscometer for general scientific and technical purposes
- Journal of Physical Chemistry (1914) vol. 18(2) pp. 157–165: The Viscosity of Binary Mixtures
- Fluidity and Plasticity (1922) McGraw-Hill (Internet Digital Archive)
- Journal of Physical Chemistry (1925) vol. 29(10) pp. 1201–1204: Plasticity
- Review of Scientific Instruments (1933) vol. 4 p. 473: The New Science of Rheology
- Journal of General Physiology (1944) vol. 28 pp. 79–94, pp. 131–149 [Bingham and Roepke], (1945) vol. 28 pp. 605–626: The Rheology of Blood
- "Dr. Eugene Bingham. Leading Rheologist Organized Society in 1929. Dies at 67". New York Times. Associated Press. November 7, 1945. p. 23.
- Steffe, J. F. (1996). Rheological Methods in Food Process Engineering (2nd ed.). p. 1. ISBN 0-9632036-1-4.
- Lehman, Paul R. (Fall 1997). "Blue Mountain Eagle Climbing Club". The Historical Review of Berks County. Historical Society of Berks County.
- "Eugene C. Bingham". Franklin Laurate Database. The Franklin Institute. Retrieved December 21, 2010.
- Bingham, E. C. (1922). "Progress in Metric Standardization". J. Ind. Eng. Chem. 14 (4): 332–333.
- "Action on Metric System". New York Times. April 11, 1922.
- "Bingham Medalists". The Society of Rheology. November 15, 2010. Archived from the original on July 13, 2010. Retrieved December 21, 2010.
- Photograph of E. C. Bingham – Lafeyette University Historical Photograph Collection