Eureka City is a ghost town in South Africa. It was established in 1885, when gold was discovered on the Sheba Reef. It is located 7 km from Barberton, Mpumalanga. Its ruins are now located in the northern section of Mountainlands Nature Reserve. A permit from the authorities is now required to enter the ghost town.
In 1887 it had a population of around 700 people. In 1886, the town had three shops, three hotels, a bakery, chemist, racecourse, music hall and bars to cater for the diggers in the area. All that remains now are the ruins of the old Victoria Hotel and the neighbouring Sheba school. The town fell under the Lydenburg District of the South African Republic (ZAR).
- Sandra Olivier (2005). Touring in South Africa. Struik. p. 141. ISBN 978-1-77007-142-1. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Philip Harrison (2004). South Africa's Top Sites: Science. New Africa Books. p. 38. ISBN 978-0-86486-563-2. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- "Mining History". Mountainlands Nature Reserve. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Three Unique Butterflies". Barberton Community Tourism. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "Eureka City". Barberton Community Tourism. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
|This Mpumalanga location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|