European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
|Type||Professional academy (non-profit)|
|Ioana Agache (2017-2019)|
|Affiliations||Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies|
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (April 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (formerly the European Academy of Allergology and Clinical Immunology) is an international organisation of national associations and of individual persons, constituted as an association pursuant to Article 60 et seq. of the Swiss Civil Code. The Academy is currently domiciled in Zurich, Switzerland.
The European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI) is a non-profit organisation active in the field of allergic and immunologic diseases such as asthma, rhinitis, eczema, occupational allergy, food and drug allergy and anaphylaxis. EAACI was founded in 1956 in Florence, Italy and has become the largest medical association in Europe in the field of allergy and clinical immunology. It includes more than 8,000 individual members from 121 countries, as well as 42 National Allergy Societies.
- promoting basic and clinical research;
- collecting, assessing and diffusing scientific information;
- being a scientific reference body for other scientific, health and political organisations;
- encouraging and providing training and continuous education
- collaborating with patients and lay organisations
In order to strengthen its influence on the work of the main clinical specialities where allergy and clinical immunology is of importance, the EAACI has formed five sections. These sections co-ordinate and represent the activities of all members and affiliates who have expressed a wish to join the Section and will act as a focus and point of contact for relevant specialty societies and non-members. The sections are: Asthma, Immunology, Dermatology, ENT, and Pediatrics.
The EAACI organises its main congress each June. It includes scientific communication of abstracts (posters and oral communications), workshops and symposia. The congress features extensive multi-day scientific programmes, with 7,000–8,000 international participating delegates, providing in-depth understanding and discussion within targeted medical communities on topics such as:
- Drug hypersensitivity
- Pediatric allergy
- Molecular allergology
- Allergic rhinitis
- Basic immunology
- Food allergy
The EAACI congresses have been held in the following cities since 2000:
2000 – Lisbon
2001 – Berlin
2002 – Naples
2003 – Paris
2004 – Amsterdam
2005 – Munich
2006 – Vienna
2007 – Gothenburg
2008 – Barcelona
2009 – Warsaw
2010 – London
2011 – Istanbul
2012 – Geneva
2013 – Milan
2014 – Copenhagen
2015 – Barcelona
2016 – Vienna
EAACI develops smaller topic-focused meetings providing additional value to its members and specialists in different areas of allergy.
- 18–20 September 2014, SAM. Skin Allergy Meeting (SAM)
- 9–11 October 2014, FAAM. Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Meeting (FAAM)
- 13–15 November 2014, ISAF. International Severe Asthma Forum (ISAF)
- 19–21 March 2015, SERIN. Symposium of Experimental Rhinology and Immunology of the Nose (SERIN)
- 15–17 October 2015, PAAM. Pediatric Allergy and Asthma Meeting (PAAM)
- 9–12 April 2014, DHM. Drug Hypersensitivity (DHM)
- 17–19 October 2013, Athens. Pediatric allergy and asthma meeting (PAAM)
- 5–7 December 2013, Vienna. – International symposium on molecular allergology. (ISMA)
- 11–14 April 2012, Munich. Drug Hypersensitivity (DHM)
- 29 November – 1 December 2012, Berlin, Skin Allergy Meeting (SAM)
- 13–15 October 2011, Barcelona. Pediatric allergy and asthma meeting (PAAM)
- 11–14 November 2009, Venice. – Pediatric allergy and asthma meeting (PAAM)
- 22–25 April 2010, Rome. – Drug hypersensitivity meeting (DHM)
- 29 – 31 Oct. 2010, Munich. – International symposium on molecular allergology. (ISMA)
- 04 – 6 November 2010, Brussels. – European rhinitis and asthma meeting/symposium on experimental rhinology and immunology of the nose (ERAM/SERIN) 2010 
- 11–13 November 2010, Venice. Skin allergy meeting (SAM)
- 17–19 February 2011, Venice. Food allergy and anaphylaxis meeting (FAAM)
The academy's task forces produce position papers on scientific developments regarding controversial and current allergy-related topics, such as the effects of climate change on respiratory allergic diseases.
The academy runs allergy schools to train and educate medical specialists in an interactive social networking environment.
- 11 – 13 September 2014, An Insight into Allergy and Allergen Immunotherapy – Athens, Greece
- 30 October – 1 November 2014, Allergy School on Primary Care – A Holistic Approach – Palma de Mallorca, Spain
- 5 – 7 March 2015, Early diagnosis and treatment of common allergic disorders in infancy and childhood – Taormina, Italy
- 2 – 5 July 2014, Investigating allergic effects of environmental exposures – Brindisi, Italy
- 3 – 5 April 2014, Research Methods Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
- 12–15 February 2012,Basic Immunology Research in Allergy and Clinical Immunology Are, Sweden
- 18–21 August 2011, Dermatitis & eczema – Krakow, Poland
- 15–18 September 2011, Clinical impact and mechanisms of infections in allergy – Edinburgh, Scotland
- 21–23 September 2011, Allergic reactions to drugs: from bench to bedside – Verona, Italy
- March 2012, From skin to lung – From Theory to patients – Davos, Switzerland
- 25–28 June 2010, Allergy at different systems – Athens, Greece
- 9–12 September 2010, Lifestyle interventions in allergy and asthma – Cagliari coast, Sardinia
- 30 September–3 October 2010, Diagnostic approaches to the allergic patient – Kusadasi, Turkey
- 21–23 October 2010, Specific allergy and immunotherapy – Berlin, Germany
- 31 March–3 April 2011, Allergy and immunotherapy – from tolerance to early intervention – Saariselkä, Finland
To increase the impact of basic immunology research in the field of allergy, EAACI organises winter schools for young scientists, who are active in allergy research.
Past winter schools:
- 29 March-1 April 2012, From Skin to Lung – From Theory to Patients – Davos, Switzerland*11–14 February 2010, 8th EAACI – GA²LEN Immunology winter school, basic immunology research in allergy and clinical immunology – Grainau, Germany
- 3–6 February 2011, 9th EAACI – GA²LEN Immunology winter school, basic immunology research in allergy and clinical immunology – Davos, Switzerland
Every year, fellowships are awarded to junior members interested in increasing their knowledge and skills at Europe’s leading scientific institutions.
Knowledge Examination in Allergology and Clinical Immunology
The EAACI/UEMS conduct a knowledge examination in allergology and clinical immunology each year during the EAACI Congress. It does not replace or substitute currently existing national examinations regularly held by national bodies, but is intended to further raise the standard of allergology and clinical immunology in Europe. It is recognised by some[which?] countries as the official written part of their board exam.
The 7th examination is scheduled to take place during the EAACI Congress in Copenhagen.
- Allergy: Impact factor of 6.297 in 2010. 2nd among 21 allergy journals in 2009. 18th among 134 immunology journals in 2009.
- Pediatric Allergy and Immunology (PAI): Impact factor of 2.874 in 2010. 8th among 21 allergy journals in 2010. 10th among 107 pediatrics journals in 2009.
- Clinical and Translational Allergy (PAI): CTA is an international and open access journal aiming to provide a platform to publish original research and reviews in the field of allergy. Such articles are based on clinical, translational or basic research. CTA publishes original research articles and reviews, as well as EAACI position articles, EAACI Task Force Reports and EAACI guidelines.
Continuing medical education (CME)
- Associations which have a political, religious, scientific, artistic, charitable, social, or any other than an industrial object, acquire the status of a person as soon as they show by their constitution their intention to have a corporate existence. The constitution must be drawn up in writing and state the object, the capital and the organization of the society.
- "EAACI – European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology".
- http://www.eaaci.net/sections-a-igs (primary source)
- "EAACI Focused Meetings". EAACI. Archived from the original on 2010-10-18.
.eaaci-sam .org www.eaaci-sam.org
.eaaci-faam .org www.eaaci-faam.org
.eaaci-isaf .org www.eaaci-isaf.org
.eaaci-serin .org www.eaaci-serin.org
.eaaci-paam .org www.eaaci-paam.org
.eaaci-dhm .org www.eaaci-dhm.org
.eaaci-isma .org www.eaaci-isma.org
.eaaci-dhm2012 .com www.eaaci-dhm2012.com
.eaaci-paam2011 .com www.eaaci-paam2011.com
.eaaci-isma2010 .com www.eaaci-isma2010.com
.eaaci-sam2010 .com www.eaaci-sam2010.com
.eaaci-faam2011 .com www.eaaci-faam2011.com
- "EAACI-GA²LEN Allergy schools". EAACI. Archived from the original on 2010-02-27.
- "2011 Winter School in Davos, Switzerland". EAACI. Archived from the original on 2010-11-11.
- http://eaaci.net/activities/eaaci-exam (primary source)
- Allergy (journal website)
- "Allergy – Wiley Online Library".
- Pediatric Allergy and Immunology (journal website)
- "Pediatric Allergy and Immunology – Wiley Online Library".
- Clinical and Translational Allergy (journal website)
- "Clinical and Translational Allergy".
- "WELCOME TO THE EAACI CME SYSTEM IN EUROPE". EAACI. Archived from the original on 2010-02-27.