Evelyn Emmet, Baroness Emmet of Amberley
The Baroness Emmet of Amberley
|Member of Parliament for East Grinstead|
26 May 1955 – 3 February 1965
|Prime Minister||Anthony Eden|
|Preceded by||Ralph Clarke|
|Succeeded by||Geoffrey Johnson-Smith|
Evelyn Violet Elizabeth Rodd
18 March 1899
|Died||10 October 1980(aged 81)|
|Spouse(s)||Thomas Addis Emmet|
|Relations||Crispin Money-Coutts, 9th Baron Latymer (grandson)|
|Parents||Lilias Georgina Guthrie|
Rennell Rodd, 1st Baron Rennell
|Education||St Margaret's School, Bushey|
|Alma mater||Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford|
Emmet was the daughter of Lilias Georgina (Guthrie) and the diplomat Rennell Rodd, 1st Baron Rennell. Among her siblings were Francis Rodd, 2nd Baron Rennell (who married the Hon. Mary Constance Vivian Smith), Hon. Gloria Rodd (wife of painter Simon Elwes), Hon. Peter Rodd (who married Nancy Mitford, one of the famous Mitford sisters), and Hon. Gustaf Rodd (who married Yvonne Mary Marling, daughter of diplomat Sir Charles Murray Marling).
She was a member of London County Council from 1925 to 1934, representing Hackney North, and a member of West Sussex County Council from 1946 to 1967. Emmet was the first Chairman of the Children's Committee of West Sussex County Council and also Chairman of the Child Guidance Committees.
Emmet was a member of the Conservative Women's National Advisory Committee 1951 to 1954.
At the 1955 general election, she was elected as Member of Parliament for East Grinstead. She held the seat until 1965, when she was elevated to a life peerage as Baroness Emmet of Amberley, of Amberley in the County of Sussex, triggering a by-election in East Grinstead.
On 9 June 1923, she was married to Thomas Addis Emmet, a son of Maj. Robert Emmet (and descendant of Thomas Addis Emmet) and the former Louise Garland (daughter of James Albert Garland). Emmet was a cousin of New York philanthropist Charles Garland. Together, they were the parents of four children:
- Hon. Gloria Lavinia Eileen Emmet (1924–2012), who married Maj. Mark Winton Slane Fleming in 1950.
- Hon. Christopher Anthony Robert Emmet (1925–1996), who married Lady Miranda Mary Fitzalan-Howard, daughter of Bernard Fitzalan-Howard, 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop in 1947.
- Hon. David Alastair Rennell Emmet (b. 1928), who married Sylvia Delia Knowles, daughter of Willis Knowles, in 1967.
- Hon. Penelope Ann Clare Emmet (b. 1932), who married Hugo Money-Coutts, 8th Baron Latymer, son of Thomas Burdett Money-Coutts, 7th Baron Latymer.
Lady Emmet died on 10 October 1980.
- "Rennell, Baron (UK, 1933)". www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk. Heraldic Media Limited. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Hansard, House of Lords, Vol. 302, Col. 1173, 19 June 1969
- Evelyn Emmet at the Centre for the Advancement of Women in Politics.
- "No. 43511". The London Gazette. 8 December 1964. p. 10447.
- "No. 43571". The London Gazette. 9 February 1965. p. 1373.
- "Emmet, Evelyn Violet Elizabeth, Baroness Emmet of Amberley (1899–1980)". A historical dictionary of British women (2nd ed.). Routledge. 2003. p. 157. ISBN 978-1-85743-228-2.
- Dale, Iain; Smith, Jacqui (2018). The Honourable Ladies: Volume I: Profiles of Women MPs 1918–1996. Biteback Publishing. p. 239. ISBN 978-1-78590-449-3. Retrieved 4 June 2020.
- Debrett's Peerage. 1973.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Evelyn Emmet
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for East Grinstead
1955 – 1965