This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Exodus Mandate, based in Columbia, South Carolina, United States, is an evangelical Christian effort promoting a mass withdrawal of religious students from the public school system and into evangelical Christian schools or homeschooling. Founded in 1997 by E. Ray Moore, Jr. of Frontline Ministries, the organization's motto is "Christian Children need Christian Education." The group is active within the Southern Baptist Convention and has introduced a succession of public school-related initiatives within the Convention.
Since its founding, Exodus Mandate have endorsed the Mission America-spearheaded "School Risk Audit" program to investigate schools for any sign of LGBT tolerance or support. Examples given include anti-bullying programs and safe-schools programs that include lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender students, and anti-discrimination policies that include LGBT students, faculty, or staff. A version of the Risk Audit published by Concerned Women for America states that male homosexuality "reduces life expectancy at age 20 by at least 8-20 years" and that female homosexuality "substantially increases the risk of contracting breast cancer." This effort is also supported by a variety of evangelical fundamentalist Christian organizations, including Concerned Women for America, the American Family Association, and the Family Research Council.
In May 2007, the group put forth a resolution supporting president Dr. Frank Page's call for SBC churches to found more Christian schools and encourage SBC parents to send their children to these institutions.
- "Exodus Mandate - Promoting private home schooling of children and the importance of a Christian education, Exodus Mandate, online as of 4 May 2007.
- "2004 Exodus Mandate Christian Education Resolution press release to the SBC," Exodus Mandate, 2004.
- "2005 Exodus Mandate press release calling for the Southern Baptist Convention to investigate public schools," Exodus Mandate, 9 March 2005.
- "Risk Audit Plan," Concerned Women for America, 25 April 2006, p2.
- "Exodus Mandate announcement of the Homosexuality School Risk Audit program," Exodus Mandate, 24 April 2006.
- "Resolution Supports SBC President's Call for More Churches to Start Christian Schools," Exodus Mandate/Christian Newswire, 2 May 2007.