|Single by Priyanka Chopra featuring Pitbull|
|Released||9 July 2013|
|Priyanka Chopra singles chronology|
|Pitbull singles chronology|
"Exotic" is the second single by Indian recording artist Priyanka Chopra featuring American rapper Pitbull. "Exotic" is to be featured on Chopra's upcoming debut studio album; the song was released by Interscope Records on July 9, 2013 as the lead single from the album. "Exotic" was written by Chopra, Pitbull and RedOne, who also produced the song. It contains both English and Hindi lyrics.
The single debuted and peaked on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Songs at #12 and on Dance/Electronic Digital Songs at #16. The single also debuted and peaked on the Canadian Hot 100 at number #74. In India, the song was more successful debuting at #1 on iTunes. The song was selected as the official theme song of Guinness International Champion Cup 2013. The accompanying music video for "Exotic" was filmed in Miami and was released on July 11, 2013.
Background and composition
"Exotic" was written by Pitbull, Chopra and RedOne and produced by RedOne. The song contains both English and Hindi lyrics. Chopra spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about the song's composition and about the inclusion of Hindi language lyrics: "My upcoming album is in English and “Exotic” was initially going to be in English too. But in all my tracks I want to have some aspect of my Indian identity. “In My City” has some Indian instrumentation to give it flavor. For me, being Indian is very exotic. After Pitbull sent me his lyrics I suggested to “Exotic” producer RedOne that we could consider having some Hindi lyrics. He said, "Yeah, let's try that"—and I quickly wrote the lyrics and sang it and he loved it. As I said, this is a summer song and we have so much fun in our Hindi movies and songs. We Indians really know how to party, man! And the world needs to see that. So the video has Indian-inspired dance steps too. It has a mix of Hindi and English, since the world is so global. An all-Korean song topped the Billboard charts, so why not a Hindi song?" Chopra also commented on her collaboration with Pitbull: "Working with Pitbull was great -- he is hugely creative. The lyrics he wrote are so personal, and he made the song about me and us. He made it real and I loved it. We only met during the shooting of the video and after that we have been in touch. I had a great time during the video shoot, which was all laughter and jokes. He was great fun and I was pleasantly surprised." "Exotic" is written in the initial key of D minor.
Amy Sciarretto from 105.7 FM ("PopCrush 105.7") generally gave the song a positive review ahead of the release of the music video, saying "[the song] has quite the Indian flair and flavor, something the singer [Chopra] wanted to celebrate."
"Exotic" was released on 9 July 2013 and quickly reached number one on the iTunes Top 100 chart in India. The song also appeared in the iTunes Top 100 charts in many other Asian countries such as, Brunei, Cambodia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka and Singapore. "Exotic" debuted at #16 on Billboard's Dance/Electronic Songs chart and #11 on the Dance/Electronic Digital Songs chart in the 27 July 2013 issue, but failed to chart on the Hot 100. The single also debuted at #74 on the Canadian Hot 100. "Exotic" has witnessed over 300,000 cumulative physical plus digital sales in India.
Shot in South Beach, Miami, the accompanying music video for "Exotic", directed by Emil Nava, shows Chopra wearing a monokini in the ocean as well as scenes with Pitbull filmed in a mansion and outdoor scenes in a forest. Chopra spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about the music video for "Exotic," saying: "It's exotic! According to me, exotic is beaches and sun and dancing. It's a summer song, a summer anthem. It's really about feeling hot and sexy. I am from Mumbai; Pitbull is from Cuba -- and we meet in Miami." In an interview with Katie Van Buren of Fuse on 15 August 2013, Chopra showed how to do some of the Bollywood-inspired dance moves that are featured in the music video, including the thumka and Bollywood-inspired hand motions. Chopra jokingly called this move "the Priyanka", commenting "it's not narcissistic at all!" Writer Jeff Benjamin from Fuse commented, "the accompanying music video features Chopra busting out super-sexy Indian dance moves" and concluded, "it's all about the hips."
Amy Sciarretto from 105.7 FM ("PopCrush 105.7") gave the video a more positive review, commenting that Chopra looks "breathtakingly hot in a nude-hued bathing suit" as she "whips her soaking wet hair back and forth and gives off a smoldering stare". Sciarretto also comments that "watching her cool off by taking a dip in the water will certainly make the viewer work up a sweat." As of now it has acquired over 100 million views.
Track listing and formats
- CD single
- Digital download
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) – 4:06
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [Popeska remix] - 4:36
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [La'Reda remix] - 4:43
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [Hardstorm remix] - 5:19
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [Aylen remix] - 2:55
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [Cahill Club remix] - 6:16
- "Exotic" (feat. Pitbull) [Moto Blanco remix] - 6:40
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the single's official liner notes.
- Pitbull – vocals, songwriter
- Priyanka Chopra – vocals, songwriter
- RedOne – record producer, songwriter
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||74|
|US Dance/Electronic Songs (Billboard)||16|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||12|
|United States||9 July 2013||CD single, digital download|
- "Times of India - Priyanka's 'Exotic' official theme song of Guinness". The Times of India. Retrieved 31 August 2013.
- Corner, Lewis (11 October 2012). "Allmusic - picture". AllMusic. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- Bhushan, Nyay (5 July 2013). "Bollywood Star Turned Pop Singer Priyanka Chopra: 'Indians Know How to Party' (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Priyanka Chopra Ft. Pitbull". chordify.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Sciarretto, Amy (10 July 2013). "Priyanka, 'Exotic' Feat. Pitbull – Exclusive Teaser Video". popcrush.com. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Goyal, Divya (10 July 2013). "Priyanka Chopra's second single Exotic is topping charts". The Indian Express. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Dance/Electronic Songs: July 27, 2013". Billboard. 24 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Dance/Electronic Digital Songs : July 27, 2013 | Billboard Chart Archive". Billboard. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Pitbull Chart history: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "Jealous 21 celebrated the success of Priyanka Chopra's single 'Exotic' at an event in Mumbai".
- Benjamin, Jeff (15 August 2013). "Learn Bollywood Dances From Indian Superstar Priyanka Chopra". fuse. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "Priyanka Chopra thanks fans as 'Exotic' gets 30 million views". The Indian Express. Press Trust of India. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Pitbull, Priyanka Chopra ft. "Exotic (Single)". Priyanka Chopra, Pitbull, Moto Blanco & Cahill Radio. Flipkart. Retrieved 9 July 2013.
- "Amazon - Exotic - Priyanka Chopra ft. Pitbull". Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Outta Nowhere (liner notes). Pitbull featuring Danny Mercer. RCA Records. 2012.
- "iTune- Exotic - Priyanka Chopra ft. Pitbull". iTune. Amazon.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- on YouTube