F. Thomas Farrell
F. Thomas Farrell
|Born||November 14, 1941|
Ohio, United States
|Alma mater||University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1963)|
Yale University (Ph.D., 1967)
|Known for||Farrell-Jones Conjecture|
|Institutions||University of California at Berkeley|
Pennsylvania State University
University of Michigan
|Doctoral advisor||Wu-Chung Hsiang|
F. Thomas Farrell (born November 14, 1941 in Ohio, United States) is an American mathematician who has made contributions in the area of topology and differential geometry. Farrell is a distinguished professor emeritus of mathematics at Binghamton University. He also holds a position at the Yau Mathematical Sciences Center, Tsinghua University.
Farrell got his bachelor's degree in 1963 from the University of Notre Dame and earned his Ph.D in Mathematics from Yale University in 1967. His Ph.D. advisor was Wu-Chung Hsiang, and his doctoral thesis title was "The Obstruction to Fibering a Manifold over a Circle". He was a NSF Post-doctoral Fellow at the University of California at Berkeley from 1968 to 1969, and became an Assistant Professor there from 1969 to 1972. He then went to Pennsylvania State University, where he was promoted to professor in 1978. Later he joined the University of Michigan (1979–1985) and Columbia University (1984–1992). Since 1990 Farrell has been a faculty member at SUNY Binghamton.
In 1970, Farrell was invited to give a 50-minute address at the International Congress of Mathematicians about his thesis in Nice, France. In 1990, for their joint work on Rigidity in Geometry and Topology, his co-author Lowell Edwin Jones was invited to give a 45-minute address at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Kyoto, Japan.
- F. Thomas Farrell at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of ICM speakers
- Farrell, F. Thomas (1971), "The obstruction to fibering a manifold over a circle", Actes du Congrès International des Mathématiciens, 2: 69–72
- F. Thomas Farrell; Lowell E. Jones (1991), "Rigidity in Geometry and Topology", Proc. Of the Int. Congress of Math., 1: 653–663
- F. Thomas Farrell; Wu-Chung Hsiang (1978), "The topological-Euclidean space form problem", Inventiones Mathematicae, 45 (2): 181–192, doi:10.1007/bf01390272.
- F. Thomas Farrell; Lowell E. Jones (1993), "Topological rigidity for compact nonpositively curved manifolds", Differential Geometry: Riemannian Geometry (Los Angeles, CA, 1990), Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., 54: 229–274.
- Farrell, F. Thomas (1971), "The obstruction to fibering a manifold over a circle", Indiana University Mathematics Journal, 21 (4): 315–346, doi:10.1512/iumj.1972.21.21024.
- Farrell, F. Thomas (1977), "An extension of Tate cohomology to a class of infinite groups", Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 10 (2): 153–161, doi:10.1016/0022-4049(77)90018-4.
- F. Thomas Farrell; L. E. Jones (1993), "Isomorphism conjectures in algebraic K-theory", Journal of the American Mathematical Society, 6 (2): 249–297, doi:10.2307/2152801, JSTOR 2152801.