|Ingibjorg Stefania Palmadottir (Chairman of the board), Jón Sigurðsson (CEO)|
|(ISK 67.3 billion) (2007)|
|Total assets||ISK 422.3 billion (2007)|
Number of employees
Stodir (Icelandic: Stoðir, FL Group prior to 4 June 2008) is an international investment company, headquartered in Reykjavík, Iceland with offices in London. The company was founded on July 20, 1973, under the name Flugleiðir. It was formed as a holding company for Loftleiðir and Air Iceland.
Stodir was best known for its subsidiary Icelandair Group, which was sold in October 2006. Icelandair, Loftleidir Icelandic and other companies of Icelandair Group have been leaders in the Icelandic flight and tourism industry for about 70 years.
Before 2005 change
The company that is nowadays called Stodir was founded in 1973. In the beginning it was a holding company for "Loftleiðir" and Air Iceland under the name Flugleidir, a hybrid of the two old names. In 1978 Flugleidir took over all assets of both companies. Until then "Loftleidir" had used "Loftleidir Icelandic", "Icelandic Airlines" or just "Icelandic" for international marketing and Air Iceland used "Icelandair". That same year the name "Icelandair" was to be used solely for international marketing. Flugleiðir was still the official name of the company until 2005.
After 2005 change
In 2005, the company known as Flugleiðir was changed to an investment company called FL GROUP. The airline had been spun off into a subsidiary named Icelandair in 2002. On October 23, 2005 FL GROUP announced its acquisition of the Danish low-cost airline Sterling Airways. In addition, FL GROUP holds a 16.18% stake in British "no-frills" carrier easyJet. On January 6, 2006, Hannes Smárason, CEO, stated that a merger of easyJet and Sterling was a possibility.
More changes in 2006
In February 2006 FL GROUP announced plans to list its subsidiary Icelandair Group in Iceland Stock Exchange.
FL sold its 16.9% stake in British no-frills airline easyJet in April 2006 for €325m, returning a profit of €140m on its investment. FL had first invested in easyJet in October 2004, taking an 8.4% share, increasing this over the course of 2005.
In October 2006 FL GROUP secured the sale of Icelandair Group.
2008 brought a number of changes to the company: stakes in Finnair and investment group Aktiv Kapital were both divested in March, and the following month a 39% stake in FL was acquired by Styrkur Invest, a company controlled by FL's Chairman Jón Ásgeir Jóhannesson. The company then delisted from the Iceland Stock Exchange on 6 June after a share buyback. Jón Ásgeir stepped down as Chairman later that month after a conviction for breaking accounting laws. His wife Ingibjorg Stefania Palmadottir was elected as his replacement. On July 4, FL Group announced both that it had changed its name to Stodir and acquired a 39% stake in retail holding company Baugur Group.
In September 2008 it was announced that Stodir had filed an application for a debt moratorium process at the District Court of Reykjavík, effectively putting the company into administration. The move was prompted by the Government of Iceland's acquisition of three-quarters of troubled bank Glitnir, in which Stodir had previously held a 32% stake.
- TM, an Icelandic insurance firm (99% holding)
- Landic Property, a Nordic real estate investor. (approximate 40% stake)
- In July 2008 Stodir bought 39% of Baugur Group.
Board of directors
- Ingibjorg Stefania Palmadottir, Chair
- Eirikur Johannsson, vice-Chairman
- Arni Hauksson
- Katrin Petursdottir
- Thorsteinn M. Jonsson
- Einar Thor Sverrisson
- Thordur Bogason
- Jón Sigurðsson, CEO
- Vidar Thorkelsson, CFO
- Bernhard Bogason, Managing director legal and tax
- Orvar Kaernested, Managing director, private equity
- "Annual Report 2007". FL Group. Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- "FL sells 12.7 pct Finnair stake, books loss". Reuters. 31 March 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "FL Group divests its shares in Aktiv Kapital". FL Group. 5 March 2008. Archived from the original on 14 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Press release from Styrkur Invest". FL Group. 8 April 2008. Archived from the original on 14 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "FL Group's request for removal from trading approved". FL Group. 23 May 2008. Archived from the original on 14 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Iceland's Stodir buys 39 pct stake in Baugur". Reuters. 4 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- Hawkes, Steve; Helga, Hildur (3 July 2008). "Baugur to confirm relocation to UK". The Times. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Results of FL Group's shareholders meeting". FL Group. 19 Jun 2008. Archived from the original on 8 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-09.
- "Iceland's Stodir says applies for moratorium". Hemscott. 29 September 2008.
- Kaupthing Bank sells stake in Stodir to Baugur Group hf in ISK1.4bn deal Nordic Business Report, Dec 5, 2002