Fairmont St Andrews
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fairmont St Andrews|
Exterior view of the hotel
|Location||St Andrews, Fife, Scotland|
|Owner||AREA Property Partners|
|Management||Fairmont Hotels and Resorts|
|Number of rooms||209|
|Number of suites||17|
|Fairmont St Andrews|
The Fairmont St Andrews is a 5 star resort hotel situated 2 miles (3.2 km) outside the town of St Andrews in Fife, Scotland. The hotel is managed by Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and owned by AREA Property Partners.
The £50 million resort opened in June 2001 as St Andrews Bay Golf Resort & Spa owned by US entrepreneur Don Panoz, as part of the Château Élan Hotels & Resorts consortium. In 2006 the resort was bought by Apollo Real Estate Advisors (renamed AREA Property Partners) and is now managed by FRHI Hotels & Resorts. This prompted a name change to Fairmont St Andrews.
In August 2014 it was announced Kennedy Wilson Real Estate PLC had purchased the property, with FRHI Hotel & Resorts continuing to manage the hotel and its operations.
In 2008-9 the resort underwent a £17 million renovation, with all 209 guest rooms and the Signature Spa refurbished. The public areas were also upgraded, including the lobby, corridors, atrium and Kittocks Bar. The Rock and Spindle bar had been opened the previous year, and the conference centre had also been refurbished. At this time the two golf courses were also altered and the Devlin Course was renamed the Kittocks Course.
In 2017, Fairmont St Andrews underwent another multi-million pound renovation. Managed by designers RPW, the redevelopment was influenced by the history and landscapes of St Andrews and involved a complete redesign of the hotel’s Atrium.
The resort has 209 bedrooms including 17 suites and two external Manor Homes. The hotel has four types of suites: Studio, Junior, Deluxe and Executive as well as the Kingdom of Fife Suite, the hotel’s largest accommodation.
The resort has six dining outlets which offer a variety of cuisines.
- La Cucina is an Italian eatery offering simple dishes. The menu focuses on antipasti, pizza and pasta, daily specials, seafood, fish & meats.
- The Squire is the hotel’s main restaurant, named after golfist Gene Sarazen. It is a contemporary brasserie-style restaurant and the Table d’Hôte menu changes seasonally.
- The St. Andrews Bar & Grill serves breakfast, lunch and dinner with views of the golf courses and the bay of St. Andrews.
- Rock and Spindle is named after a rock structure on the coastline below the resort, and is a sports bar which has a pool table and dart board.
- Kittocks Den is a lobby bar, serving cocktails, liquors and whisky as well as lunch and supper.
- The Atrium serves afternoon tea
The conference centre has twelve meeting rooms, a ballroom and a cinema. The 15,000-square-foot (1,400 m2) meeting space is flexible and caters for 12 to 600 people. The largest function room, the Robert Burns Ballroom, is 6,179 sq ft (574.0 m2).
The Torrance Course is a Par 72, 7,230 yard long championship course, originally designed by golfer Gene Sarazen and former European Ryder Cup Captain Sam Torrance. In 2009 the course was redesigned to include eight new holes, in preparation for the 2009 Scottish Seniors Open and was also the Final Qualifying Venue for the 2010 Open Golf Championship. In August 2010 the World Deaf Golf Championships and the Scottish Seniors Open 2010 were held on the Torrance. The course features classic Scottish revetted bunkering throughout and is of a Scottish style Links design.
The Kittocks Course is 7,192 yard long and is a Par 72. Its original architects were Gene Sarazen and Bruce Devlin which is why it was formerly known as the Devlin Course 2012. The name Kittocks is taken from the SSSI (Site of Special Scientific Interest) area of land on the course which is inhabited by a family of deer.
The 9,000-square-foot (840 m2) health spa at Fairmont St Andrews is situated on the ground floor of the hotel. Its facilities include a 16-metre swimming pool, a spa bath, a sauna and a steam room as well as a fitness studio. The Spa was awarded 5 bubbles by the Good Spa Guide
Fife Coastal Path
- "Fairmont St Andrews - St Andrews - VisitScotland". Guide.visitscotland.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Leatherman, Dale (2004-12-12). "St. Andrews Bay Resort". Scotland Golf. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 October 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- "Overview - Fairmont St Andrews, Scotland". Fairmontmeetings.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
-  Archived 24 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine.
- Inglis, Martin (September 20, 2017). "Fairmont St Andrews set to relaunch after £17m redevelopment". bunkered.
- "Scotland Event Venues: Meeting & Conference Spaces". Fairmont. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Thursday, 20 February 2014 (2001-10-18). "Torrance course opens at St Andrews Bay resort « Golf Business News". Golfbusinessnews.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "FAIRMONT ST ANDREWS, Torrance course". Scotlands-golf-courses.com. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Europe Golf - St. Andrews Bay Resort and Golf". Golfeurope.com. 2014-01-01. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "St. Andrews Golf Courses - Kittocks Course". Oldcourse-experience.com. 2008-03-26. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "Scotland Hotel: Luxury Resort Hotel in St. Andrews, Scotland". Fairmont. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- "The Fife Coastal Path". The Fife Coastal Path. Retrieved 2014-02-20.
- Media related to Fairmont St Andrews at Wikimedia Commons