Faith of Our Fathers (film)
|Faith of Our Fathers|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Carey Scott|
|Box office||$1 million|
Faith of Our Fathers is a 2015 Christian drama film directed by Carey Scott, and written by Kevin Downes, Carey Scott, Harold Uhl and David A. R. White. The film stars Downes, White, Stephen Baldwin, Candace Cameron Bure, Rebecca St. James and Sean McGowan.
Meek postal service worker John Paul George (Kevin Downes), named after three members of The Beatles, has never met his father, Stephen (Sean McGowan), because he died during the Vietnam War in 1969. While rummaging through the garage of his recently deceased mother's house, he comes across a box of his father's war belongings and finds a letter mentioning "Eddie J. Adams" (Scott Whyte), his best friend from Vietnam. Curious, John starts calling people in the country with the name, eventually coming across someone who seems to recognize the name. John travels to Mississippi, where he finds that the person he spoke with on the phone was actually Edward's son, Wayne Adams (David A. R. White), an ill-tempered hermit. Wayne reveals that he has many letters from his father, most of which detail John's father, who helped him rediscover his Christian faith. Later that night, Wayne impulsively cuts the roof off his 1965 Ford Thunderbird to "make it a convertible for a road trip". Confused and angered because his wedding to his fiancée Cynthia (Candace Cameron Bure) is in a matter of weeks, John protests the trip, preferring to just read the letters at Wayne's house. Wayne is insistent, however, that they go on the long and arduous road trip to visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., to see their fathers' names on The Wall and get closure. Despite clashing many times over many things, such as Wayne getting into a fight with rowdy gas station patrons and John being forced to pay for the letters if he wants to read them, on the trip they learn more about their fathers and themselves.
- Kevin Downes as John Paul George
- David A.R. White as Wayne Adams
- Stephen Baldwin as Mansfield
- Candace Cameron Bure as Cynthia
- Rebecca St. James as Annie
- Sean McGowan as Stephen George
- Scott Whyte as Edward "Eddie" Adams
- Ryan Doom as Pvt. Shears
Faith of Our Fathers received negative reviews from critics. The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 10% rating, based on 10 reviews, leaving a rating average of 4/10. On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score of 20 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Faith Of Our Fathers". AMC Theatres. 2014-10-08. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- "Faith of Our Fathers (2015)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved September 12, 2015.
- "Pure Flix to Release 'Faith Of Our Fathers' as U.S. Commemorates 50th Anniversary of Vietnam War". NRB. 2015-04-23. Retrieved 2015-06-10.
- "Faith Of Our Fathers (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved July 18, 2015.
- "Faith of Our Fathers Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 5, 2015.